Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ender's Game trailer is out

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

Loved the book, but the trailer looks terrible. From what I can tell it will suffer a similar fate as the Hunger Games in the sense that the magic of the book was the interesting internal dialogue and complex moral issues (also in Dune). Internal dialogue and moral issues are rarely done well in movies. I'm bummed about this trailer so far.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Hmm some of the visuals look very good, the zero-G arena for example, but overall I agree. It seems like the book (which I had mixed views on: very entertaining but a bit disturbing when you think about certain themes) will be turned from a complicated story to a glitzy action film. A big part of the story is the constant struggle Ender has in coming up with better tactics and outwitting his enemy. I'm not convinced a film can pull that struggle off so well rather than just showing fight scene after fight scene.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    I had no idea a screenplay was even out for optioning. Didn't think Orson Scott Card would ever find a producer that shared his vision for Ender's Game. I hope they have enough good child actors to fill in Ender's battle school entourage.

I'm both excited and a bit sad to see this movie come out. Excited because I'm curious to see how the movie stacks up to the world I imagined when I read the book and sad because I know I won't get to know Ender as well as I did with the book.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I just can't accept Harrison Ford as Graff or Ben Kingsley as Mazer. I would have loved to see some relatively unknown actors fill those roles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook