1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Endomorphism Ring

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1
    I'm working on a problem about the endomorphism ring:
    Let R be a ring. Show that R is isomorphic to E = { f in End(R+) | f(xr) = f(x)r for all x,r in R }

I'm trying to do it with the following theorem in our lecture notes:
    Let R be a ring and R+ the additive group of R. Let for r in R, L_r: R+ --> R+ : x |--> rx be the left multiplication map. Then f: R --> End(R+): r |--> L_r is a injective homomorphism, and R is isomorphic to a subring of End(R+), which is f(R).

I had the following strategy in mind: If I can show that E is a subring of End(R+) and that f(R) = E, the statement is proved. I almost succeeded with it, but I had a small problem on the end proving the equality of f(R) and E.

To show that f(R) lies in E isn't that hard. Because L_r (xy) = rxy = L_r(x) y, so L_r satisfies the conditions. But I couldn't figure out how to show that E lies in f(R).

Could anyone help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

EDIT: I had written a lot but I see most of it was unnecessary. You want to show that R is isomoprhic to E, and there is a natural function f (the one given in your post) which you know to be injective and homomorphic, you just need to show that f(R) = E. f(R) is the sub-ring of left-multiplications, so you want to show that E is the sub-ring of left-multiplications. Any element g in E satisfies the property that for all x, r in R, we have:

g(xr) = g(x)r

from this we can deduce:

g(x) = g(1x) = g(1)x

Let g(1) = ag. Then we can say that E consists of all functions of the form:

g(x) = agx

where ag is in R. Clearly, each g is a left-multiplication, and since E consists of all such functions (i.e. since all left-multiplications g satisfy g in End(R+), g(xr) = g(x)r for all x, r in R), we deduce that E is indeed the sub-ring of left-multiplications, so f(R) = E.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?