1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energies of spin states

1. Dec 28, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] energies of spin states

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is in a constant magnetic field with magnitude B_0, aligned in the -z direction. My book says without explanation:

"the spin-up state has energy [itex] -\mu_B B_0[/itex]"

where [itex] \mu_B[/itex] is the Bohr magneton

I looked back in the Spin Angular Momentum chapter and I cannot find where this was derived.

I am thinking that they used the equation [tex] H = B_0 \mu_B \sigma_z [/itex] and just calculated the energy of the spin up state using the TISE and the vector representation of spin-up in z. Is there an a priori way of knowing the energy of a spin state of it is spin up or down in x, y,or z in a magnetic field?

EDIT: OK. So I think that if you actually calculate the energies for the spins using H |\psi> = E | \psi>, you get that the energy is always [itex] -\mu_B B_0[/itex] when the spin is antiparallel to the magnetic field vector and [itex] \mu_B B_0[/itex] when the spin is parallel to the magnetic field vector. I explicitly checked that this holds for x, y, and z. Could I have obtained this result without calculating with Pauli matrices, though? Does this result hold when the spin and magnetic field are parallel but not along x,y,z,-x,-y,-z?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the Hamiltonian for a (spin)particle in magnetic field:

[tex]H = - (q/mc) \vec{S} \cdot \vec{B} [/tex] (sakurai eq 2.1.49)
    (q = -e for the electron)

the magnetic moment for an electron is of course: [tex]\mu_B = e\hbar /2mc [/tex]

Now you can simply relate the spin matrices to the hamiltonian and see what energy eigenvalues different states have.

for your B-field: [tex] \vec{B} = -B_0 \hat{z} [/tex]
    You will get this hamiltonian:
    [tex] H = - (e/2mc) \sigma _z B_0 [/tex] and the pauli matrix property:
    [tex] \sigma _z \chi _+ = \hbar \chi _+ [/tex]
    So the energy for this particle (spin in +z and magnetic field in -z) is [itex] -\mu_B B_0[/itex]
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. Dec 29, 2007 #3
    So, I guess the answers to my questions in the EDIT are no and yes.
  5. Dec 29, 2007 #4
  6. Dec 29, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must use the spin- (pauli) matrices for this, the form of the hamiltonian follows from basic electromagnetism.

For your second "question" , i dont know what you ask for, but it is very easy to evaluate the energy eigen values for a specific state in a certain magnetic field.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?