Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy absorbed from sunlight

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to figure out a simple way to estimate how much energy (in the form of heating water) can be collected by a black metal surface of a given area exposed to direct sunlight during the day. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Why not just fill a black box with water, measure the before-and-after temperatures, and calculate the caloric increase?

4. Jul 31, 2009 #3
    The total incident sunlight is about 1000 watts per square meter when the surface is normal to the sunlight at noon, so assume that the daily incident energy is about 8 kilowatt-hours per square meter. Preventing this from being reflected back or convected away is the real problem.

5. Jul 31, 2009 #4
    Ideally, I would do that very thing. However, if I could get some idea of power/area I could much more directly optimize the size of my container to maximize the amount of warm water I could get. i.e. If I have a small amount of water and a large area, I'm sure the water will be quite warm, but the amount of heat transfer will have decreased over time since the water will have become a closer temperature to the heating metal. At least that's my initial conception of this little device.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  6. Jul 31, 2009 #5
    Ah, very good. Thanks.

How much absorption is realistic for a metallic (say, steel) surface that is painted black? Is it even close to that 1kw per square meter?

7. Jul 31, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

FieldOpsGirl, I hope that you didn't think my reply flippant. It was just the best that I could think of being a non-scientist. I knew that someone like Bob or Astro would eventually give you a technical answer. :smile:

8. Jul 31, 2009 #7

negitron

Science Advisor

Conventional black paints reflect between 5% and 10% of the incident light, so figure .9 kW/m2 worst case.

9. Jul 31, 2009 #8
    No problem. It was a good thought, just not quite what I was looking for this time. Thanks, though.

Excellent. Is that just visible light, or also the spectral neighbors?

10. Jul 31, 2009 #9

negitron

Science Advisor

The spectral reflectance spectrum appears pretty flat across the band for standard black paints/coatings, well into the IR. The following chart compares these to a special heat-reflective black coating:

black_reflection.jpg

If you have cash to spare, there are special "ultrablack" coatings (such as certain nickel-phosphorus alloys) with reflectivities in the .1-.2% range.

11. Jul 31, 2009 #10
    Great. Thank you all very much. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook