1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy and Block on Incline

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block with a mass of 8.7kg slides down a hill with an angle of 27.4 degrees at an initial velocity of 1.66m/s. The friction uk between the block and hill is 0.62. What is the distance the block slides down the hill?

I solved the equation using components and kinetics, but I'm not quite sure how to solve it using energy conservation.

2. Relevant equations
    For energy:
    I know
    initial energy=final energy
    KE+PE= ? +ukNx ?????

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my work solving it with components
    N(0,1)+mg(sin27.4, -cos27.4)+ukN (-1,0)=ma (1,0)

hopefully doing it this way is also right. Thank you for any help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

> a=gsin27.4-ukmgcos27.4

m shouldn't be there.
  4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    Oops, looks like i made a typo. but regardless of that the acceleration is still -0.89m/s^2

however, i'm still pondering on how to do this que with energy conservation.

5. Mar 1, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Initial KE + difference of PE_grav between initial and final positions = work done against friction = frictional force*distance.
  6. Mar 1, 2008 #5
    KE_f - KE_i = Work by gravity + Work by friction
    0 - KE_i = Work by gravity + Work by friction
    - 0.5 m * (1.66)^2 = (m * 9.81 * sin 27.4 - m * 9.81 * 0.62 * cos 27.4)*ans
    ans = 1.56 m

Sorry, I wouldn't be able to explain any concepts behind what I did: use geometry and FBDs.
    But, this is the way you should be doing this; if you keep doing these questions
    your way, you will be in a big mess one day (maybe on your exam day)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?