Will a Ball or Newtonian Liquid Bounce Indefinitely in an Isolated Container?

• Thread starter Amr Elsayed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of releasing a ball or Newtonian liquid in an isolated container with no sound or heat production. It is questioned whether the ball or liquid would continue to bounce without any changes in height due to the lack of energy transfer to the ground. It is concluded that energy is conserved and perpetual motion machines do not exist, and the speaker is encouraged to use these principles to answer their own questions.
Amr Elsayed
Hi,
I want to make sure what is going to happen if I release ball to fall in an isolated container where no sound or heat is a production of collision. Would it keep going up and down without any change in height reached every single time ? what if I release a Newtonian liquid ? would it bounce too ? giving that liquid cannot transfer energy to ground , does this condition of isolated ground make no sense ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Amr Elsayed said:
I release ball to fall in an isolated container where no sound or heat is a production of collision.
The container cannot prevent the ball from heating up during the collision.
Amr Elsayed said:
what if I release a Newtonian liquid ?
Same as above, you cannot prevent it from heating up.

Likes Amr Elsayed
Energy is conserved. Perpetual motion machines do not exist. Using those principles, can you answer your own questions?

By the way, discussion of perpetual motion is forbidden on PF.

anorlunda said:
Energy is conserved. Perpetual motion machines do not exist. Using those principles, can you answer your own questions?
My own question is already answered in post #2

anorlunda said:
By the way, discussion of perpetual motion is forbidden on PF.
All I did talk about was conservation of energy. I don't know if it's forbidden or even why, if so I didn't know before posting, thanks for telling me

1) What is the relationship between energy and bouncing objects?

The energy of a bouncing object is constantly changing as it moves up and down. When the object hits the ground, it compresses and stores potential energy. As it bounces back up, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. This cycle continues until the object eventually loses all of its energy and stops bouncing.

2) How does the type of surface affect the bouncing of an object?

The surface that an object bounces on can greatly impact its bounce. Softer surfaces, like carpet, will absorb more of the object's energy and result in a lower bounce. Harder surfaces, like concrete, will reflect more of the energy and result in a higher bounce.

3) Why does a ball bounce higher when dropped from a greater height?

When an object is dropped from a greater height, it gains more potential energy due to its increased height. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the object falls, resulting in a higher bounce when it hits the ground.

4) Can the shape of an object affect its bouncing ability?

Yes, the shape of an object can greatly impact its bouncing ability. Objects with more surface area, like a flat sheet of paper, will experience more air resistance and therefore have a lower bounce. Objects with less surface area, like a ball, will experience less air resistance and have a higher bounce.

5) What role does gravity play in the bouncing of an object?

Gravity is a constant force that acts on all objects, including bouncing objects. It is responsible for pulling the object back towards the ground after each bounce and ultimately determines the object's maximum height and duration of bouncing.