Energy and Capacitors of metal spheres

In summary, the two uncharged metal spheres with a capacitance of 24.0 pF and a spacing of 15.0 cm have a potential difference of 719 V. The work needed to move 12.0 nC of charge from one sphere to the other can be calculated using the law of energy conservation, with the initial energy being 0 due to the spheres being uncharged. The given distance in the problem is redundant.
Mitchtwitchita

Homework Statement

Two uncharged metal spheres, spaced 15.0 cm apart , have a capacitance of 24.0 pF. How much work would it take to move 12.0 nC of charge from one sphere to the other?

Homework Equations

V = Q/[4(pi)eor]
(delta)K + (delta)U = 0 *I think

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to do this problem. I think I would first have to find out the potential difference between the spheres?

V = Q/[4(pi)eo*r]
=(12.0 x 10^-9)/[4(pi)(8.85 x 10^-12)(1.5 x 10^-1)
=719 V

Can somebody please tell me if I'm going in the right direction and, if not, could you please steer me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the law of energy conservation, the work needed = the change in the energy of the capacitor. So all you need to find is the initial energy and the final energy.

So, U = Q^2/2C would be the equation to use?

Yes :)

Would the initial energy be 0 because they are originally uncharged?

What do you think? :)

I think so because the electric field depends on the charge of the spheres. Therefore, if there is no charge, there can't be any electric field.

There you go :)

Why is the distance given?

It's redundant.

Oh, ok. Thanks for your time.

1. What is energy and how is it related to capacitors of metal spheres?

Energy is the ability to do work, and capacitors are devices that store electrical energy. In the case of metal spheres, the energy is stored in the form of electric charge on the surface of the spheres.

2. How do capacitors of metal spheres work?

Metal spheres are separated by an insulating material, creating a capacitor. When a voltage is applied, electrons from one sphere are pushed to the other, creating a potential difference between the two spheres. This potential difference is what stores the electrical energy.

3. What factors affect the energy storage capacity of a capacitor made of metal spheres?

The energy storage capacity of a capacitor depends on the distance between the spheres, the surface area of the spheres, and the dielectric constant of the insulating material.

4. Can capacitors of metal spheres be used for renewable energy storage?

Yes, capacitors made of metal spheres can be used for renewable energy storage. They can store electrical energy generated from renewable sources such as solar or wind power and release it when needed.

5. How are capacitors of metal spheres different from other types of capacitors?

Capacitors made of metal spheres have a larger surface area, which allows for a higher energy storage capacity compared to other types of capacitors. They also have a lower self-discharge rate, making them more efficient for long-term energy storage.