Solve Energy Dissipation in Resistor: I = 0.09 A, R = 80.0 Ω

In summary, to find the total energy dissipated as heat in a resistor with a resistance of 80.0 Ω and a current of 0.09 A passing through it for 1 minute, one can use the equation P=(I^2)(R) to calculate the power drop across the resistor. Then, by assuming that all of this power is converted to heat over the course of 1 minute, one can use the equation P=U/t to solve for the energy dissipated as heat.
roam

Homework Statement

What is the total energy dissipated as heat in a resistor of resistance R = 80.0 Ω when a current of I = 0.09 A passes through it for 1 minute?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the given values I can work out the potential difference, but I'm stuck here because I don't know what formula to use with energy in it. But I know that electric power can be found from P=IV=I2R, but I don't know how this helps to find energy. Of course I know that [tex]P=\frac{dU}{dt}[/tex], but I don't see how to solve for the energy... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you have the answer hiding right in front of you...

If you know that the power drop across a resistor is (I^2)(R) then you can calculate that given the values.

Next if you assume that it drops all that power through heat 'U' over that 1min and you know that P=U/t then...

1. What is energy dissipation in a resistor?

Energy dissipation in a resistor refers to the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy as the current flows through the resistor. This is due to the resistance of the material the current is passing through, which causes the electrons to collide and lose energy in the form of heat.

2. What is the formula for calculating energy dissipation in a resistor?

The formula for calculating energy dissipation in a resistor is E = I^2 * R, where E is energy dissipation in joules, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms.

3. How do you solve for energy dissipation in a resistor if the current and resistance are given?

To solve for energy dissipation in a resistor, simply plug in the given values of current and resistance into the formula E = I^2 * R and solve for E. In this case, E = (0.09 A)^2 * 80.0 Ω = 0.648 joules.

4. How does the energy dissipation in a resistor affect the temperature of the resistor?

The energy dissipation in a resistor directly affects the temperature of the resistor. As energy is dissipated in the form of heat, the temperature of the resistor will increase. This can be a concern in high power applications, as excessive heat can damage the resistor or surrounding components.

5. Can the energy dissipation in a resistor be reduced?

Yes, the energy dissipation in a resistor can be reduced by decreasing the current or the resistance. This can be achieved by using a larger resistor or by implementing more efficient circuit designs. Additionally, using resistors with higher power ratings can reduce the risk of overheating and damage.