1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy and impulse

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    A miniature spring-loaded, radio-controlled gun is mounted on an air puck. The gun's bullet has a mass of 5.00 g, and the gun and puck have a combined mass of 120 g. With the system initially at rest, the radio controlled trigger releases the bullet causing the puck and empty gun to move with a speed of 0.500 m/s. What is the bullet's speed?
    Wnet= 1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2
    0=1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2
    1/2mv^2=1/2mv^2
    1/2(.oo5)v^2=1/2(.120)(.5)^2
    v= 2.5 m/s
    i dont think the answer reasonable, but that the best i can come up with

A baseball player *****es a .20kg baseball. The ball arrive the home plate at 40m/s and is batted straight back with speed 60m/s. The bat contact with the ball for .05s, find impulse
    P=mv final - mv initial
    p= .2(40)- .2( -60)
    p=20kgm/s

i need advice plz

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Canada's secret weapons program!

That's what I get - note you don't have to convert the masses into kg since the units cancel.

Impulse is just change in momentum so that looks right too.
    Hint Impulse = force * time, and f=ma so impulse = m a t = Kg *m/s^2 *s = kgm/s so your units are right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?