Calculate Impulse from Baseball Bat Strike - 20 kgm/s

In summary, a miniature spring-loaded, radio-controlled gun with a bullet mass of 5.00 g and a combined mass of 120 g for the gun and puck is initially at rest. The trigger releases the bullet causing the puck and empty gun to move at a speed of 0.500 m/s. The calculated bullet speed is 2.5 m/s. In a separate scenario, a baseball player hits a 0.20 kg ball at a speed of 40 m/s and the ball is batted back at 60 m/s. The contact between the bat and ball lasts for 0.05 seconds, resulting in an impulse of 20 kgm/s.
logglypop
A miniature spring-loaded, radio-controlled gun is mounted on an air puck. The gun's bullet has a mass of 5.00 g, and the gun and puck have a combined mass of 120 g. With the system initially at rest, the radio controlled trigger releases the bullet causing the puck and empty gun to move with a speed of 0.500 m/s. What is the bullet's speed?
Wnet= 1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2
0=1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2
1/2mv^2=1/2mv^2
1/2(.oo5)v^2=1/2(.120)(.5)^2
v= 2.5 m/s
i don't think the answer reasonable, but that the best i can come up with

A baseball player *****es a .20kg baseball. The ball arrive the home plate at 40m/s and is batted straight back with speed 60m/s. The bat contact with the ball for .05s, find impulse
P=mv final - mv initial
p= .2(40)- .2( -60)
p=20kgm/s

i need advice please

Physics news on Phys.org
logglypop said:
A miniature spring-loaded, radio-controlled gun is mounted on an air puck.
Canada's secret weapons program!

v= 2.5 m/s
i don't think the answer reasonable, but that the best i can come up with
That's what I get - note you don't have to convert the masses into kg since the units cancel.

A baseball player *****es a .20kg baseball. The ball arrive the home plate at 40m/s and is batted straight back with speed 60m/s. The bat contact with the ball for .05s, find impulse
P=mv final - mv initial
p= .2(40)- .2( -60)
p=20kgm/s
Impulse is just change in momentum so that looks right too.
Hint Impulse = force * time, and f=ma so impulse = m a t = Kg *m/s^2 *s = kgm/s so your units are right

Hi there, as a scientist, I am happy to provide some guidance and clarification on the calculations you have presented.

Firstly, let's start with the calculation for the bullet's speed. In this case, we are dealing with a conservation of momentum problem, where the initial momentum of the system (gun and puck) is equal to the final momentum of the system (puck and bullet). This can be represented as:

m1v1 = m2v2

Where m1 and v1 are the mass and velocity of the gun and puck, and m2 and v2 are the mass and velocity of the puck and bullet.

Plugging in the given values, we get:

(120g)(0m/s) = (120g + 5g)(0.500m/s + v2)

Solving for v2, we get a final velocity of 2.38 m/s for the bullet, which is a more reasonable answer.

Next, let's look at the calculation for impulse in the baseball example. Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object, and can be calculated using the formula:

Impulse = m(vf - vi)

Where m is the mass of the object, and vf and vi are the final and initial velocities.

In this case, the initial velocity (vi) is 40m/s and the final velocity (vf) is -60m/s, as the ball is being batted back in the opposite direction. Plugging in the values, we get an impulse of 20 kgm/s, which is a reasonable answer.

I hope this helps to clarify the calculations and concepts involved. As a scientist, it is always important to double check calculations and make sure they are reasonable. If you have any further questions or need further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your scientific studies!

1. How do you calculate impulse from a baseball bat strike?

To calculate the impulse from a baseball bat strike, you need to know the mass of the baseball bat and the velocity at which it strikes the ball. The formula for impulse is mass multiplied by velocity, or I = mv. In this case, the units for impulse will be in kilogram meters per second (kgm/s).

2. What is the unit of measurement for impulse?

The unit of measurement for impulse is kilogram meters per second (kgm/s). This unit is a combination of mass (kg) and velocity (m/s), and represents the amount of force applied over a certain period of time.

3. Why is calculating impulse important in the context of a baseball bat strike?

Calculating impulse is important in the context of a baseball bat strike because it helps to measure the impact or force of the bat on the ball. It can also be used to analyze the efficiency of a player's swing and make adjustments for better performance.

4. Can impulse be negative or zero?

Yes, impulse can be negative or zero. A negative impulse indicates that the force applied by the bat was in the opposite direction of the movement of the ball. A zero impulse means that there was no change in the ball's momentum, either because there was no force applied or because the forces were equal and opposite.

5. How does the mass of the baseball bat affect the impulse?

The mass of the baseball bat directly affects the impulse. The greater the mass of the bat, the greater the impulse will be. This is because a heavier bat will have more momentum and therefore, will require more force to change its direction or speed.