Consider the situation shown in the picture below. Cart A has a mass of 30kg and rests on a horizontal track with negligible friction. A 20kg mass (B) is suspended from a cable of length 2m from a connection point on cart A. Mass B is raised with the cable kept taught through an angle Ѳ=35° and then released.
1. In what direction is the system isolated from external forces?
2. What is the initial Linear momentum of the system?
3. Draw a diagram to show the final state of the system, and write an equation for the final momentum of the system.
4. Perform an energy analysis to determine the relationship between the given parameters and the unknown variables.
5. Find the velocity of the cart and mass(B) relative to the stationary track when the cable is vertical while mass B is swinging.
6. What is the normal force on the cart when the cable is vertical while mass B is swinging?
Ei+Ef since its an isolated system. KE=.5mv^2, GPE=mgh, L(momentum)=mv
The Attempt at a Solution
I need a nudge in the right direction. I am practicing for my final exam and have had difficulty with this concept throughout the semester. Any help is very appreciated.