Analyzing Energy and Momentum in a Suspended Mass System

In summary: Please don't post images of handwritten working. It makes more work for those trying to give you answers. Pls post as typed text in the post, preferably using latex.
ericoromero

Homework Statement

Consider the situation shown in the picture below. Cart A has a mass of 30kg and rests on a horizontal track with negligible friction. A 20kg mass (B) is suspended from a cable of length 2m from a connection point on cart A. Mass B is raised with the cable kept taught through an angle Ѳ=35° and then released.

1. In what direction is the system isolated from external forces?
2. What is the initial Linear momentum of the system?
3. Draw a diagram to show the final state of the system, and write an equation for the final momentum of the system.
4. Perform an energy analysis to determine the relationship between the given parameters and the unknown variables.
5. Find the velocity of the cart and mass(B) relative to the stationary track when the cable is vertical while mass B is swinging.
6. What is the normal force on the cart when the cable is vertical while mass B is swinging?

Homework Equations

Ei+Ef since its an isolated system. KE=.5mv^2, GPE=mgh, L(momentum)=mv
Diagram attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a nudge in the right direction. I am practicing for my final exam and have had difficulty with this concept throughout the semester. Any help is very appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-12-09 17.43.18.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-09 17.43.18.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Screenshot 2014-12-09 17.43.18.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-09 17.43.18.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
ericoromero said:
Ei+Ef since its an isolated system.
You mean Ei=Ef, right? But it is not true that the cart+mass form a completely isolated system. They're not hanging about in empty space.
You need to show more attempt at answering some of these questions.

yeah i meant Ei=Ef, and i meant its isolated about the x-axis. As for the y-axis there is gravity

So far I have this. Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 371
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 338
ericoromero said:
Am I on the right track?
Yes, those two answers are correct.
ericoromero said:
3. Draw a diagram to show the final state of the system, and write an equation for the final momentum of the system.
If the friction is to be ignored then this question doesn't make sense. There is no final state. However, you can say something about the momentum of the system at any arbitrary later time.
ericoromero said:
4. Perform an energy analysis to determine the relationship between the given parameters and the unknown variables.
You need to make some reasonable guess of what is meant here by the unknown variables.
ericoromero said:
5. Find the velocity of the cart and mass(B) relative to the stationary track when the cable is vertical while mass B is swinging.
Try this one. What physical laws do you think may be relevant?

I finished the rest. I just went with my gut and would really appreciate someone reviewing my work. Thank you again.

Attachments

• 2014-12-09 18.52.34.jpg
    2014-12-09 18.52.34.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 2014-12-09 18.52.31.jpg
    2014-12-09 18.52.31.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 362
  • 2014-12-09 18.52.18.jpg
    2014-12-09 18.52.18.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 402
  • 2014-12-09 18.52.12.jpg
    2014-12-09 18.52.12.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 376
The pictures were accidentally put in reverse order, so the bottom right corner is questions #3 and the top left picture is questions #6

ericoromero said:
The pictures were accidentally put in reverse order, so the bottom right corner is questions #3 and the top left picture is questions #6
Please don't post images of handwritten working. It makes more work for those trying to give you answers. Pls post as typed text in the post, preferably using latex.
In Q4, eqn 3, why the 'i' suffixes?
In your expression for T, you've forgotten something.
Two of your images came out sideways. I have not read them.

I'm sorry about that. I'm not familiar with latex yet. I was confused about initial and final values of L. Does T=mb*Vb2/2 + mbg?

ericoromero said:
Does T=mb*Vb2/2 + mbg?
Yes, but it makes things clearer if you keep all data items in symbolic form, only plugging in numbers at the end. E.g. it would be better to write T=mb*Vb2/L + mbg (having defined L).

I see. I am also having a bit of trouble with isolating Vb and VA. Would the GPE=KE+L?

Sorry, I've confused things by using L for length of rope when you were already using L for momentum. Let me change that to T=mb*Vb2/D + mbg.
ericoromero said:
Would the GPE=KE+L?
Where L is momentum? No, you can't mix energy and momentum like that. What does the conservation law say?

My first thought was: Initially there is only GPE, b/c initial velocity is 0. Once the object is in motion, (the reference point in the y direction, being where theta=0, when hb=2) that there would be two forms of energy, both GPE and KE. I thought GPEi=KE + GPE, but I couldn't figure out how to isolate VA or Vb, so i eliminated that option. I was then confused as threw in momentum.

ericoromero said:
I thought GPEi=KE + GPE
Stick with that.
ericoromero said:
I couldn't figure out how to isolate VA or Vb
There are two facts you need to bring in:
- conservation of horizontal momentum (or, equivalently here, of horizontal mass centre)
- constancy of length of rope
When the rope is at angle ##\phi## to the vertical, where are the cart and suspended mass along the x co-ordinate from the common mass centre?

I am still confused. I don't know how to answer that question.

Can I view the masses as one so that instead of having M*V+M*V=L, I have V(M+M)=L? Don't mind the lack of subscripts.

ericoromero said:
Can I view the masses as one so that instead of having M*V+M*V=L, I have V(M+M)=L? Don't mind the lack of subscripts.
No, they're moving at different horizontal speeds.
ericoromero said:
I don't know how to answer that question.
When the cart is distance x to the right of the common mass centre, how far is the suspended mass to the left? Knowing the length of the rope, how do those distances relate to the angle of the rope?

The angle would be equal to the arcsin of 2(length of the rope)/x(the distance of the cart from the common mass centre.

ericoromero said:
The angle would be equal to the arcsin of 2(length of the rope)/x(the distance of the cart from the common mass centre.
No, a couple of things wrong there. If the cart is distance x to the right of the c.o.m., how far is the mass to the left? What total distance is that?

The mass would be 2(1-cos(theta)) away.?
since MB*VB+MA*VA=0, I manipulated that equation to be, 2(VB-VA)=3VA. I made VA negative b/c its moving away from the origin, then I input the masses. And since the mass is attached to the cart, I used VB-VA, instead of only VB

ericoromero said:
The mass would be 2(1-cos(theta)) away.?
No.
ericoromero said:
since MB*VB+MA*VA=0, I manipulated that equation to be, 2(VB-VA)=3VA.
Try that again. On second thoughts, don't - keep everything symbolic as long as possible. Don't substitute in the mass values until the end.
ericoromero said:
I made VA negative b/c its moving away from the origin, then I input the masses.
Best to keep one direction as positive for all displacements, speeds, accelerations. Less confusing in the long run.
ericoromero said:
And since the mass is attached to the cart, I used VB-VA, instead of only VB
Again, less confusing if we work with absolute speeds, not relative speeds.

I am really lost at this point, especially about the distances from the COM. Do I have to find the COM? I will have to look over some lecture notes. I feel stuck. Thank you for all your help.

1. What is energy?

Energy is defined as the ability to do work or cause change. It can exist in many forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, chemical, nuclear, and electromagnetic.

2. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

3. How are energy and linear momentum related?

Energy and linear momentum are related through the principle of conservation of momentum. This principle states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, meaning that the initial momentum of the system is equal to the final momentum.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity. Potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object has stored due to its position or configuration. It can be gravitational, elastic, or chemical in nature.

5. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains constant. This means that the sum of the initial momenta of the objects involved is equal to the sum of their final momenta. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.