Energy and momentum eigenfunctions

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy eigenfunction for a free particle and the momentum eigenfunction for a particle in a box. The main question is what these functions are and why the person is asking. The conversation also mentions that the person is studying quantum theory and has skipped quantum mechanics, and is looking for the momentum eigenfunctions on a forum after not finding them in their textbook.
UrbanXrisis
just a general and quick question because I'm making a formula sheet for my test tomorrow:

What is the energy eigenfunction for a free particle and what is the momentum eigenfunction for a particle in a box?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you asking?!? If you're taking a QM class, surely you've covered these things in class and they are in your textbook!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i skipped QM and went into quantum theory so i never went over this. this isn't talked about in my book. all i need to know is the energy eigenfuction for a free particle please? Oh and momentum eigenvalues for a particle in a box?

Last edited:
so I've went there already, and coundt find them, which is why I'm asking on this forum. maybe i just can't spot them out?

That's an interesting Q though.

What are the momentum eigenfunctions of a particle in a box? The FT of the waves between the walls must look a bit weird.

1. What are energy and momentum eigenfunctions?

Energy and momentum eigenfunctions are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of a quantum system at a specific energy and momentum. They are solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

2. How are energy and momentum eigenfunctions related?

Energy and momentum eigenfunctions are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainty in the measurement of position and the uncertainty in the measurement of momentum must be greater than or equal to Planck's constant divided by 4π.

3. What are the properties of energy and momentum eigenfunctions?

Energy and momentum eigenfunctions are orthogonal, meaning they are perpendicular to each other. They are also normalized, meaning their integral over all space is equal to 1. Additionally, they form a complete set, meaning any wavefunction can be expressed as a linear combination of energy and momentum eigenfunctions.

4. How are energy and momentum eigenfunctions used in quantum mechanics?

Energy and momentum eigenfunctions are used to determine the probability of a particle's position and momentum in a quantum system. They are also used to calculate the expectation values of observables, such as energy and momentum, in a given state.

5. What is the significance of energy and momentum eigenfunctions?

Energy and momentum eigenfunctions play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and explain many phenomena in the physical world, including the behavior of atoms and molecules.