1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy and momentum eigenfunctions

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    just a general and quick question because I'm making a formula sheet for my test tomorrow:

What is the energy eigenfunction for a free particle and what is the momentum eigenfunction for a particle in a box?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you asking?!? If you're taking a QM class, surely you've covered these things in class and they are in your textbook!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. Mar 27, 2007 #3
    i skipped QM and went into quantum theory so i never went over this. this isnt talked about in my book. all i need to know is the energy eigenfuction for a free particle please? Oh and momentum eigenvalues for a particle in a box?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  5. Mar 27, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Mar 27, 2007 #5
    so i've went there already, and coundt find them, which is why i'm asking on this forum. maybe i just cant spot them out?

7. Mar 27, 2007 #6
    That's an interesting Q though.

What are the momentum eigenfunctions of a particle in a box? The FT of the waves between the walls must look a bit weird.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?