1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy and motion problem

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Betty weighs 427 N and she is sitting on
    a playground swing seat that hangs 0.22 m
    above the ground. Tom pulls the swing back
    and releases it when the seat is 0.88 m above
    the ground.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
    How fast is Betty moving when the swing
    passes through its lowest position?
    Answer in units of m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    KE=1/2 M V^2
    PEg=Mgh
    i might be missing an equation here

3. The attempt at a solution
    i was thinking that potential energy gravitational would turn into Kinetic energy then i solved for v.

PEg= 427 newtons*.66 i used the change in height for h and got 281.82 Joules for my answer. then i said that should transfer to KE.

281.82 joules= 1/2* 427/9.8 Kg * V^2 and i got 11.3737 m/s as my answer. when i checked this it turned out to be wrong. i think i may have to apply circular motion concepts to this problem, but i'm not quite sure how to do that.

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2
    Your logic looks sound; it must just be a math error throwing you off... If the work you have here is what you typed into your calculator, then I have two suggestions: first, the weight in the 2nd equation should be 427, not 527... secondly, did you take the square root of both sides at the end? Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    yeah i've got it figured out now thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook