1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy and/or dynamics

1. Jun 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object passes through point P0 in the instant t=0, going up with a velocity v0=3m/s along a tilted rough surface (dynamic friction coefficient µd=0.3) which forms an angle α=30° with the "ground". The length L of the slanted surface is practically endless.
    a)h, the maximum height the object can reach
    b)vf, the final velocity when the object re-passes through point P0 assuming that the static friction coefficient, µs, is such that the object doesn't stop when it reaches the maximum height.
    Note: This problem can be solved either by applying the 2nd dynamics principle or through energetic deductions.
    [Answers: a) h=30 cm ; b) vf=1.69 m/s]

2. Relevant equations

K(B)+U(B)= K(A)+ U(A) (kinetic energy and potential energy)
    F=µ∙N (friction force, a non-conservative force)
    W=⌠F∙ds (work as integral of force and movement)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to solve the first question, find h , through the conservation of mechanical energy. I called B the point of max height, A=P0 the starting point.
    E(B)=E(A) - Work(A→B)
    ½m∙v²(B)+mgh=½m∙v²(A) - F∙L
    where F is the friction force, a non-conservative force: F=µd∙N=µd∙(mg∙cos(30°)).
    But now how do I continue? L is ∞, and I don't know v(B). should I assume v(B)=0 in order to solve the 1st question? Is what I have done till this point, right?
    the picture of this problem is a bit confusing so I'm sending you a copy just as it is on the paper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2007 #2
    a) at max height, kinetic energy = 0.
    displacement along the incline is d = h/sin(30). so, d = 2h

initial kinetic energy - work done by friction = final potential energy
    (1/2)m(vo)^2 - u*mg*cos(30)*2h = mgh ... solve for h.

b) once you determine h from part (a) ...

initial potential energy - work done by friction = final kinetic energy
    mgh - u*mgcos(30)*2h = (1/2)m(vf)^2 ... solve for vf.
  4. Jun 3, 2007 #3
    yeah, I figured it out. Thank you very much for replying!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?