Why do power signals have finite power and infinite energy?

In summary, power signals cannot be represented by Fourier transform, whereas energy signals can be. This is due to the fact that power signals have finite energy while energy signals have infinite energy.
parthj09
I have read that for
power signals : power = finite and energy = infinite
Energy signals : power = 0 and energy = finite
Can anyone give practical example for this...?
Also we can represent power signal through Fourier series only but not through Fourier trransform..unlike energy signals.. why is that..?
I googled it but didnt get any satisfactory answerReport**

Physics news on Phys.org
parthj09 said:
I have read that for
power signals : power = finite and energy = infinite
Energy signals : power = 0 and energy = finite
Can anyone give practical example for this...?
Also we can represent power signal through Fourier series only but not through Fourier trransform..unlike energy signals.. why is that..?
I googled it but didnt get any satisfactory answerReport**

For example, take function

$$
f_1(t) = \sin \omega_0 t
$$

This function has "power" ##|f_1|^2 \leq 1##, but "energy"
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |f_1|^2\,dt
$$
is infinitely great.

This function does not have ordinary Fourier transform (in terms of Fourier function), because the ordinary Fourier integral does not converge. It has however Fourier series: the series contains only one term, the function itself.
(there is however generalized Fourier transform of ##f_1##, which employs delta distributions).

There are also functions that have infinite "energy" and cannot be represented even by a Fourier series, for example realization of the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process.

Thank you..but i still have one doubt...in your explanation about Fourier transform.
As much as i know Fourier transform do exist for f_1(t) = Asin wt
It would be F_1(f) = iA/2 [(f+fm) - (f- fm)]
taking w = 2 pi fm
Now f_1(t) is a power signal then why its Fourier transform is available?

Last edited:
It would be F_1(f) = iA/2 [(f+fm) - (f- fm)]
Haven't you forgot delta distributions in the bracket? With distributions, it is true that one can write generalized Fourier transform even for sin function.

Yeah but it still doeant answer my question.. why power signals cannot be represented in Fourier transform?

It is hard to prove that all "power" functions do not have Fourier representation. It probably is not true.

Instead, I will show why a function given by Fourier series (which has non-zero average power) cannot be represented via Fourier transform.

Let the function be given by

$$
f(t) = \sum_k c_k e^{ik\omega_0 t}.
$$
It has average "power", or better - average square - equal to
$$
\overline{f^2} = \sum_k |c_k|^2.
$$
The function is periodic and does not decay to zero.

However, any Fourier representation

$$
f(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \tilde{f}(\omega)\, e^{i\omega t}\, \frac{d\omega}{2\pi}.
$$
with piecewise continuous ##g(\omega)## has to decay to 0 as ##t\rightarrow \pm \infty## (Riemann - Lebesgue effect).

Hence the Fourier series ##f(t)## cannot be represented by any piecewise continuous function ##\tilde f(\omega)##.

This is not a proof, but I think it gives an idea why the Fourier transform does not work for such functions.

Yeah thanks for this example.
I did some digging too and found out that all power signals are periodic in nature, and it is impossible to write Fourier transform of periodic signals. They can only be represented by Fourier series.
And also according to you..fourier transforms are supposed to decay..which power signals do not .. so its a win win for us both. :-)

1. What is the difference between an energy signal and a power signal?

An energy signal is a signal with finite energy, meaning that the total energy of the signal is finite and non-zero. A power signal, on the other hand, is a signal with finite power, meaning that the average power of the signal over time is finite and non-zero.

2. How are energy and power signals related to each other?

An energy signal can be converted into a power signal by dividing it by a finite time duration. Similarly, a power signal can be converted into an energy signal by multiplying it by a finite time duration. This relationship is known as the energy-power duality.

3. Can a signal be both an energy signal and a power signal?

No, a signal can either be an energy signal or a power signal, but not both. This is because for a signal to have finite energy, it must have a finite duration, while for a signal to have finite power, it must have an infinite duration.

4. How do energy and power signals affect the design of electronic systems?

The use of energy or power signals in electronic systems depends on the specific application and the desired outcome. For example, energy signals are more suitable for storing and transmitting information, while power signals are more suitable for driving electronic devices.

5. What are some real-life examples of energy and power signals?

An example of an energy signal is a digital signal, which has a finite number of discrete values and a finite duration. An example of a power signal is an alternating current (AC) signal, which has an infinite duration and non-zero average power. Other examples include radio waves, sound waves, and light waves.