1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy and Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    In preparation for shooting a ball in a pinball machine, a spring (k = 675 N/m) is compressed by 0.0690 m relative to its unstrained length. The ball (m = 0.0540 kg) is at rest against the spring at point A. When the spring is released, the ball slides (without rolling) to point B, which is 0.300 m higher than point A. How fast is the ball moving at B?

I used this equation: v final=square root of k/m(x initial^2 - x final^2)
    but I keep getting the wrong answer. Am I using the wrong equation? Can someone help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Instead of using that equation, think in terms of conservation of energy: Initially, the ball has only spring potential energy ([itex]1/2 k x^2[/itex]), which gets transformed into kinetic energy plus gravitational potential energy as it moves to position B. Set up that equation and solve for the speed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?