Is the change in internal energy really a state function?

In summary, the change in internal energy in isobaric processes is a state function, which would mean that the work done on the gas in process A is more than in process B, and the energy transferred thermally to the gas in process A is more than in process B.
msw1
Homework Statement
(Figure 1) shows two processes, A and B, for moving 3.45 × 10^22 particles of a monatomic ideal gas from state i to state f. Which process requires a smaller magnitude of the energy Q transferred thermally to the gas?
Relevant Equations
$$\Delta E=W+Q$$
$$PV=Nk_BT$$
$$Q=\tfrac{d}{2}Nk_BT \text{ (isochoric process)}$$
$$Q=NC_p\Delta T \text{ (isobaric process) }$$
Here is the figure:
1597791821634.png

The answer is $$Q_A<Q_B$$ which I can show by calculation using the above equations. What's confusing to me is I thought that the change in internal energy was a state function. Which would mean since the initial and final points are the same, $$\Delta E_A=\Delta E_B$$ or by the 1st law of thermodynamics $$W_A+Q_A=W_B+Q_B$$ Since W is the area under the curve (and positive in this case since the gas is being compressed), $$W_A<W_B$$ So the work done on the gas in process A is less than in process B, and the energy transferred thermally to the gas in process A is less than in process B. Which, since all values are positive, seems like it contradicts the original assumption that the change in internal energy was a state function, since it seems like the change in internal energy has to be less in process A. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
msw1 said:
The answer is ##Q_A<Q_B## which I can show by calculation using the above equations.
Can you show that calculation? There is heat involved in both parts of both transitions.

mfb said:
Can you show that calculation? There is heat involved in both parts of both transitions.
Sure, energy transferred thermally in the isobaric processes is
$$Q=NC_p\Delta T$$
$$Q=N\left(\tfrac{d}{2}+1\right)k_b\Delta T$$
And ##\Delta T = \frac{P\Delta V}{Nk_B}## by the ideal gas law so
$$Q=P\Delta V\left(\tfrac{d}{2}+1\right)$$
And then for the isochoric processes
$$Q=\tfrac{d}{2}Nk_B\Delta T$$
And ##\Delta T = \frac{\Delta P V}{Nk_B}## so
$$Q = \tfrac{d}{2}(\Delta P)V$$
So the overall energy transferred thermally in each process is
$$P\Delta V\left(\tfrac{d}{2}+1\right)+\tfrac{d}{2}(\Delta P)V$$
Taking d to be 3 since this is a monatomic gas, the energy transferred thermally in process A is then
$$9680\cdot1.3(\tfrac{3}{2}+1)+\tfrac{3}{2}\cdot12720\cdot0.45=40046J$$
And then the energy transferred thermally in process B is
$$22400\cdot1.3(\tfrac{3}{2}+1)+\tfrac{3}{2}\cdot12720\cdot1.75=106190J$$
So ##Q_A<Q_B##, which my homework grader says is correct.

What is the sign of ##\Delta V##?

Likes Chestermiller
mfb said:
What is the sign of ##\Delta V##?
Oh, that was it! So ##|Q_A|<|Q_B|## like the question asked, but ##Q_A>Q_B##, and so there is no contradiction. Thanks!

Likes mfb and Chestermiller

What is energy as a state function?

Energy as a state function refers to the concept that the total energy of a system is determined by its current state or condition, and is independent of how the system arrived at that state. This means that the path taken to reach a certain state does not affect the total energy of the system.

Why is energy considered a state function?

Energy is considered a state function because it is dependent only on the current state of a system and not on the path taken to reach that state. This means that the total energy of a system can be determined by knowing the initial and final states, without needing to know the details of the process in between.

What are some examples of state functions?

Some examples of state functions include temperature, pressure, volume, and internal energy. These are all properties that depend only on the current state of a system and are independent of the path taken to reach that state.

How is energy related to work and heat?

Energy is related to work and heat through the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This means that energy can be transferred between a system and its surroundings through work and heat.

What are the implications of energy being a state function?

The implications of energy being a state function are that it allows us to simplify complex thermodynamic processes and analyze them more easily. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different forms of energy and how they can be converted from one form to another. Additionally, it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of a system without needing to know the exact details of the process that led to its current state.