Energy Balance of Isothermal Energy Storage Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of unsteady state energy balances to determine the benefits of storing cold water in a larger tank rather than a smaller one. The approach outlined involves creating arbitrary conditions and using first principle values to prove that a larger volume will be able to sustain temperatures for a longer period of time. However, other factors such as heat transfer rates and thermal inertia should also be considered in the analysis.
miniradman

Homework Statement

Using unsteady state energy balances, discuss why storing cold water will be better in a larger tank rather than a smaller one.

Assume the initial state where the tank is full.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to make this an algebraic exercise where I created arbitrary conditions where:

[itex]V_{1}=2V_{2}[/itex]

which I would try and convert using properties from first principle values (density, mass, heat capacities) to get a situation where:

[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}= Cf(t)[/itex]

where C is a coefficient which is carried down from the initial condition that [itex]V_{1}=2V_{2}[/itex], I would substitute [itex]V_{1} and 2V_{2}[/itex] into the equation and comparing the C values to prove that the change in temperature over time will be less in [itex]V_{1}[/itex] by a factor of C. And thus, proving that a larger volume will be able to sustain temperatures for a greater amount of time.

This is all my thinking however, I just wanted to know if my outlined approach was even possible to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems reasonable and could be a good way to demonstrate why storing cold water in a larger tank would be more beneficial. However, keep in mind that energy balances can also take into account other factors such as heat transfer rates, so you may want to consider incorporating those into your analysis as well. Additionally, you may want to discuss the concept of thermal inertia and how a larger volume of water has a greater thermal inertia, meaning it takes longer for its temperature to change. This could also contribute to why storing cold water in a larger tank would be better. Overall, your approach is a good starting point but be sure to consider other factors and explain the concept of thermal inertia in your analysis.

1. What is the purpose of an isothermal energy storage tank?

An isothermal energy storage tank is designed to store energy in the form of heat or cold at a constant temperature. This allows for efficient energy storage and retrieval, as well as minimizing energy loss due to temperature fluctuations.

2. How does an isothermal energy storage tank maintain a constant temperature?

An isothermal energy storage tank uses a heat transfer fluid, such as water or molten salt, to maintain a constant temperature. This fluid is circulated through the tank and exchanges heat with the stored energy, keeping the temperature consistent.

3. What are the benefits of using an isothermal energy storage tank?

There are several benefits to using an isothermal energy storage tank. These include increased energy efficiency, reduced energy costs, and the ability to store and use renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power.

4. Are there any limitations to using an isothermal energy storage tank?

One limitation of isothermal energy storage tanks is their size and cost. These tanks can be quite large and expensive to construct, making them less practical for smaller scale energy storage needs.

5. How does an isothermal energy storage tank compare to other types of energy storage systems?

Compared to other energy storage systems, such as batteries or pumped hydro storage, isothermal energy storage tanks have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance. Additionally, they can store larger amounts of energy for longer periods of time, making them a viable option for grid-scale energy storage.