1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Balance of Isothermal Energy Storage Tank

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using unsteady state energy balances, discuss why storing cold water will be better in a larger tank rather than a smaller one.

Assume the initial state where the tank is full.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to make this an algebraic exercise where I created arbitrary conditions where:

[itex]V_{1}=2V_{2}[/itex]

which I would try and convert using properties from first principle values (density, mass, heat capacities) to get a situation where:

[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}= Cf(t)[/itex]

where C is a coefficient which is carried down from the initial condition that [itex]V_{1}=2V_{2}[/itex], I would substitute [itex]V_{1} and 2V_{2}[/itex] into the equation and comparing the C values to prove that the change in temperature over time will be less in [itex]V_{1}[/itex] by a factor of C. And thus, proving that a larger volume will be able to sustain temperatures for a greater amount of time.

This is all my thinking however, I just wanted to know if my outlined approach was even possible to begin with.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?