1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Band Diagrams (Solid State)

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    My professor has said several times that if you increase the potential (electrostatic) you will get a lower energy in terms of a band diagram.

In particular, I have been working with MOS-Capacitors and this seems to be the case.
    For example for an n-type semiconductor. If you apply a positive charge to the metal, the fermi energy level will increase on the metal side, because the voltage potential is decreasing.

My problem is that I have been unable to find an equation that expresses this inverse relationship. Does anyone know of anything that would show me why energy and voltage are inversely related in terms of this? Perhaps I am screwing my thinking up because E = Vq is what I remember from E&M.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?