1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Bars

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know Ug stands for the gravitational potential energy, but I'm not sure what Us and Uint stands for.

At initial stage 1, I know the ball has kinetic energy and also has had work applied on it (the goalkeeper kicking the ball), but how do I know how much work is being applied?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

You are in serious trouble with this question. I think you would need to consult your Physics handbook to solve it (or get help from the lecturer/other scolars in the class).

My guess is that the g refers to the earth and the s refers to the soccer ball while the int refers to a change in internal potential energy. It is not clear (at all) what is on the x- and y-axii. That is why I think you should look in the handbook or ...

My take on it is that the goalkeeper injects energy into the ball/earth system by kicking it. If air friction were not present the sum of all energies would remain constant, but I have a sneaky fealing that in this case one should assume that air friction removes energy from the system.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  4. Jun 18, 2007 #3
    LOL. Oh well, I tried!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?