How to Calculate Energy Change for Lifting an Object on Earth and the Moon?

In summary, the person is trying to determine the energy required to lift an object to the same height on the moon, given that they already know the amount of work done (6.1 J) and the value of the moon's gravity (1.622 m/s^2). By using the equations W=FD and Eg=mgh, and creating ratios with known values for mass, height, and work on Earth and the moon, the person can solve for the unknown energy required to lift the object on the moon.
Lil Uzi Vert

Homework Statement

A person performs 6.1 J of work to lift an object without acceleration to a particular height on Earth. Write an equation describing that energy change and analyze it to determine how different the energy would be required to lift the same object to the same height on the moon where the value of g is 1.622 m/s^(2).

No height is given.
No mass is given.
No displacement is given.

Homework Equations

W= F*D
Eg=mgh
P=W/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the power equation but we only have work as energy (6.1 J) and no time or power.
Using W=FD, i was able to make two equations
1. 6.1= m*9.8*h*D
2. E= m*1.622*h*D
After that i did not know where to go from there.
I'm stuck on this question and have no clue how to create this equation describing the energy change to find the energy required to lift the object to the same height on the moon.

Please help!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Lil Uzi Vert said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the power equation but we only have work as energy (6.1 J) and no time or power.
Using W=FD, i was able to make two equations
1. 6.1= m*9.8*h*D
2. E= m*1.622*h*D
After that i did not know where to go from there.
I'm stuck on this question and have no clue how to create this equation describing the energy change to find the energy required to lift the object to the same height on the moon.

Please help!

You've nearly done this problem without realising it. That said, it isn't clear to me exactly what they are looking for. But, perhaps, any correct answer will do.

One mistake, however, is why do you have ##h*D## in your equations?

Also, if you are going to use any numbers like ##9.8## you are going to have to put units on everything. Alternatively, use ##g## or ##g_e## for the Earth's surface gravity and leave the numbers out of the equations.

Lil Uzi Vert said:
1. 6.1= m*9.8*h*D
2. E= m*1.622*h*D
The h is the D in these equations, so just use D for the height change.

Oops, beaten by PeroK again! :smile:

I am having trouble with these two equations because I do not know how to create them into what the question is looking for. Can I have a hint?

Lil Uzi Vert said:
I am having trouble with these two equations because I do not know how to create them into what the question is looking for. Can I have a hint?

Here's what I would do:

1) I would describe the sort of energy we are talking about.

2 Because we have two scenarios (Earth and moon), I would use ##E_1## for the Earth and ##E_2## for the moon.

3) I would do the equation all in letters and then, separately, state what quantities we know.

So, for the first one I would do:

Let ##E_1## be (you have to describe what energy we are talking about here)

Then:

##E_1 =## (your equation involving ##m, g, h## etc.)

Where ##E_1 = 6.1J##

Hi Lil Uzi Vert, Welcome to Physics Forums!

A handy way to proceed in these sorts of problems is to form ratios from your formula. Best to start with symbols and plug in numbers later. So let:

##M## be the mass of the object (same for both cases)
##h## be the height (same for both cases)
##g_e## be the gravity on Earth
##g_m## be the gravity on the Moon (that's your 1.622 m/s^2)
##w_e## be the work done on Earth (that's your 6.1 J)
##w_m## be the work done on the Moon

Write the expressions (symbolically) for the work done in each case, then form ratios from the two sides of the equations. Solve for your unknown value.

For example, suppose you had a general expression for some quantity: ##f = a*x## and you had one case where you know all the values: ##f_1 = a_1*x_1##, but you have another case where the constant ##a## is different and you don't know what ##f_2## will be. Then you first write out the two cases:

##f_1 = a_1 * x_1##
##f_2 = a_2*x_2##

Form ratios:

##\frac{f_1}{f_2} = \frac{a_1 * x_1}{a_2 * x_2}##

If you can fill in values for all but one of the variables then you can solve for that variable.

Likes Lil Uzi Vert
gneill said:
Hi Lil Uzi Vert, Welcome to Physics Forums!

A handy way to proceed in these sorts of problems is to form ratios from your formula. Best to start with symbols and plug in numbers later. So let:

##M## be the mass of the object (same for both cases)
##h## be the height (same for both cases)
##g_e## be the gravity on Earth
##g_m## be the gravity on the Moon (that's your 1.622 m/s^2)
##w_e## be the work done on Earth (that's your 6.1 J)
##w_m## be the work done on the Moon

Write the expressions (symbolically) for the work done in each case, then form ratios from the two sides of the equations. Solve for your unknown value.

For example, suppose you had a general expression for some quantity: ##f = a*x## and you had one case where you know all the values: ##f_1 = a_1*x_1##, but you have another case where the constant ##a## is different and you don't know what ##f_2## will be. Then you first write out the two cases:

##f_1 = a_1 * x_1##
##f_2 = a_2*x_2##

Form ratios:

##\frac{f_1}{f_2} = \frac{a_1 * x_1}{a_2 * x_2}##

If you can fill in values for all but one of the variables then you can solve for that variable.
Thanks, this really clarified it for me.

1. What is the Energy Change Equation?

The Energy Change Equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the amount of energy released or absorbed in a chemical reaction (ΔE), the mass of the substance (m), and the specific heat capacity of the substance (c). It is written as ΔE = mcΔT, where ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How is the Energy Change Equation used in science?

The Energy Change Equation is used to calculate the amount of energy involved in a chemical reaction, which is important for understanding the properties and behavior of substances. It is also commonly used in thermodynamics to analyze and predict energy changes in physical and chemical systems.

3. What does each variable in the Energy Change Equation represent?

The ΔE represents the change in energy, m represents the mass of the substance, c represents the specific heat capacity of the substance, and ΔT represents the change in temperature. Each variable has a specific unit of measurement, such as Joules for energy, grams for mass, and Joules per gram per degree Celsius for specific heat capacity.

4. How does the Energy Change Equation relate to the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Energy Change Equation is based on the Law of Conservation of Energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the Energy Change Equation, the energy released or absorbed in a chemical reaction is equal to the energy required to change the temperature of the substance.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Energy Change Equation?

The Energy Change Equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems for buildings, determining the energy content of foods, and analyzing the efficiency of engines and other machines. It is also used in industries such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to understand and control energy changes in chemical reactions and processes.