1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Change Formation

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    Calculate the energy change for the formation of CaF2 (s) from its elements in their standard states and the following information:

Ca (s) + F2 (g) -> CaF2 ?
    Ca (s) -> Ca (g) = 179.3 kJ/mol
    Ca (g) -> Ca+ (ion) (g) + e- = 589.9 kJ/mol
    Ca+ (ion) (g) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) +e- = 1145 kJ/mol
    1/2 F2 (g) -> F(g) = 79.0 kJ/mol
    F(g) + e- -> F- (ion) (g) = -328.0 kJ/mol
    CaF2 (s) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) + 2 F- (ion) (g) = 2630 kJ/mol

Basically, what I did was add each one up in the order listed & I got 4290 kJ/mol. However, this doesn't seem to make any sense, because I want a negative kJ/mol, or at least according to the problems in the book (my first time dealing with these problems). Any ideas what is going on?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

What form of an energy equation is one using? Is one getting the correct magnitude for the energy change?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    Think about your target equation: Ca(s) + F2(g) --> CaF2

If you add up all the equations, they will not give you the above.

1/2 F2 (g) -> F(g) = 79.0 kJ/mol
    F(g) + e- -> F- (ion) (g) = -328.0 kJ/mol
    CaF2 (s) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) + 2 F- (ion) (g) = 2630 kJ/mol

you need to manipulate these 3 equations so that you get F2 (not 1/2F2)
    and also that CaF2 is on the right hand side (what happens to the 2630 if you reverse the equation?) ..........neg kJ/mol you are looking for
  5. Nov 4, 2007 #4
    :) yes, I just came on to check the thread. What switched the last equation around to get -2630 kJ/mol, then I was thinking if I multiplied the first equation by 2, I'd get F2 (g) -> 2 F (g) = 158 kJ/mol. Then I'd have to multiply the next equation by 2 to get 2 F(g) + 2e- -> 2F- (ion) (g) = -656 kJ/mol. The add them all up to get -1210 kJ/mol. Or so I think ^_^.
  6. Nov 4, 2007 #5
    good thinking :cool:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?