What influences the binding energy of nucleons in a nucleus?

In summary, the component of energy within the nucleus due to strong interaction can be expressed as Uf=EfArZp, where Ef is a constant with energy dimensions. By using the constraints that strong interaction does not distinguish between protons and neutrons and is a force of contact, it can be derived that p=0. This means that the energy per nucleus does not depend on Z and is only influenced by nucleons directly around it, resulting in a binding energy that is independent of long-range contributions.
Bestfrog

Homework Statement

The component of nucleus' energy due to the strong interaction (with ##Z,A >>1##) can be written as ##U_f = E_f A^r Z^p##, (##E_f## is a constant with the dimension of a energy). Find ##r,p## knowing that
(i) strong interaction doesn't distinguish between protons and neutrons
(ii) strong interaction is a force of contact
Can you give me a hint to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try different values and see if they fit to the constraints?

In particular, what happens if you keep A constant and change Z?

What can you say about the energy per nucleus if there is no long-range contribution?

I don't know how to use the constraints, maybe I miss some theory..

mfb said:
See the two hints I gave.
I have an idea. If ##N## is the number of neutrons, then ##U_f = E_f (Z+N)^r Z^p##. For the constraint (i) if I first put ##Z=1## and so ##N=1##, then I put ##Z=2## with ##Z+N## constant (N=0), I have $$E_f 2^r \cdot 1 = E_f 2^r 2^p$$ so ##p=0##.

mfb said:
What can you say about the energy per nucleus if there is no long-range contribution?
Can you explain this in other words? I don't get what you say

If nucleons are only influenced by nucleons directly around them, and every nucleon always has nucleons directly around it, what can influence the binding energy for this particular nucleon?

1. What is the energy component of a nucleus?

The energy component of a nucleus refers to the amount of energy contained within the nucleus of an atom. This energy is primarily in the form of strong nuclear forces that bind together the protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

2. How is the energy component of a nucleus measured?

The energy component of a nucleus is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or mega electron volts (MeV). This measurement can be obtained through various nuclear reactions, such as nuclear fission or fusion, or through particle accelerators.

3. What factors affect the energy component of a nucleus?

The energy component of a nucleus is affected by several factors, including the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, the arrangement and distribution of these particles, and the nature of the nuclear forces between them.

4. How does the energy component of a nucleus contribute to nuclear stability?

The energy component of a nucleus plays a critical role in determining the stability of an atom. If the energy within the nucleus is too high, it can cause the nucleus to break apart, resulting in a radioactive element. Conversely, if the energy is too low, the nucleus may not have enough energy to hold itself together, resulting in an unstable element.

5. Can the energy component of a nucleus be harnessed for practical applications?

Yes, the energy component of a nucleus can be harnessed for practical applications, such as nuclear power generation, nuclear medicine, and nuclear weapons. This is achieved through controlled nuclear reactions, where the energy released from the nucleus is converted into heat or electricity.