1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Conservation and Escape Velocity

1. Apr 29, 2004 #1
    If a particle is launched with kinetic energy as it gets further from the mass (eg a planet) the kinetic energy decreases. However Potential Energy GMm/r also decreases the further you get from the mass. Where does all this energy go? :confused:

Granted, the calculation U + K = 0 does give an answer that I have seen all over the place for escape velocity but I always thought energy is conserved and we have initial kinetic and potential energy but no final energy. I was wondering if energy is a vector quantity and there is no resultant energy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is negative potential energy that decreases in the escape velocity example, whereas kinetic energy is always a non-negative quantity.
    Hence, in the escape velocity example, potential energy increases up to zero level as kinetic energy decreases to zero level.

4. Apr 29, 2004 #3
    I unterstand that potential energy is negative but I thought that was just convention. The size of the number is decreasing as you move away from a planet. So is the energy still not getting less as you move away?

5. Apr 29, 2004 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try thinking about it in terms of a debt. As the magnitude of your debt decreases, it is the same as gaining money.

6. Apr 29, 2004 #5
    I think I get it now. Newton only put it negatively inversely proportional to the radius (squared in force equation) because that is the rate it increases at. So if you plot -1/r (for symplicity) for PE as well as a 1/r for KE and translate PE up by an infinate amout so both graphs are in the top right quadrant except for when PE goes off to infinity down the y axis the total of both energies at any certain radius is constant.

Also where the two graphs cross is that the the distance you need to get to to have enough KE to overcome the PE?

7. Apr 30, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What do you mean by that KE is to overcome PE?
    I'm not sure I understand..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?