1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conservation, and mgh

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    my question is, when using energy conservation when do i put the potential energy of gravity negative? if its under where it set my potential energy to 0? or am i wrong, is gravity's potential energy always positive (except at my set u=0 point) ?

can someone explain this to me, having trouble getting ANYthing done because i do not understand how to set up these homework questions

for example, this is a ball pushed into a barrel, compressing the spring, ball has initial velocity 0
    here are the values,
    k = 667 N/m
    mass of ball = 1.5kg
    ball is pushed into tube .25 meters
    if u=0 is set at the mouth of the barrel, then the initial potential energy is mgh+.5kx^2?
    or is it -mgh+.5kx^2? -mgh-.5kx^2?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2
    You get to define where the potential energy is 0. Everything above that is positive, below that negative.
  4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    what about the springs energy is that negative as well?
    meaning if i set the muzzle of the gun to be potential energy 0,, is the total potential energy at the compressed initial part
  5. Feb 28, 2008 #4
    Yup, because you also defined the springs 0 potential energy mark at y=0
  6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    im trying to find the velocity once it is at y=0 (once it leaves the gun)
    i am setting

[tex] -mgh - \frac{1}{2}kx^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]

i solve this for v and i receive

i do not receive the correct answer, i get 5.72

here are the values,
    k = 667 N/m
    mass of ball = 1.5kg
    ball is pushed into tube .25 meters

i am placing -.25 into the formula since it is below the muzzle, anyone see where i went wrong?
  7. Feb 28, 2008 #6
    U = mgh+.5kx^2

You get the negatives from the the springs compression and the height, you didn't use
    -mgh-.5kx^2 THEN also set x=-.25 did you?
  8. Feb 28, 2008 #7
    yes i did, i just tried again with correct negatives i think (i see where i went wrong last time)
    and i got answer: 3.38m/s, wrong still though

[tex] mgh + \frac{1}{2}kx^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]
  9. Feb 28, 2008 #8
    That would be the problem:

Where x=-.25
  10. Feb 28, 2008 #9
    The potential energy of the ball is +mgh. If the ball is below th etop of the barrel, h is negative, so mgh will then be negative. The elastic energy of the spring is always equal to +kx^2/2 if its unstretched position is at the top of the barrel.
  11. Feb 28, 2008 #10
    jesus wrong again, i got 22.89166 m/s this time, lol

i have used

o nvm i forgot the sqrt, i got correct answer now! 4.784

thank you feldoh, kamerling
  12. Feb 28, 2008 #11
    4.784 m/s once it leaves muzzle
    solved now though, i didnt know how to properly set any of the initial and final energies, so i couldn't solve it initially, i got it now though.
    thanks again
  13. Feb 28, 2008 #12
    Ah, that's good. I was beginning to think I just made up everything I told you since it's been a while since I've done that lol XD
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?