Does energy conservation hold if eigen-energies are multiplied by probabilities?

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum harmonic oscillator in its first excited state and how its energy changes when the force constant is altered. The conclusion is that the system will be in a superposition of new eigen states with a probability of finding the system in a state with a certain energy. The conversation also includes questions about the energy conservation law and how it applies to the system. These questions were further discussed and answered in a Google group.
Opi_Phys
Hello,

let us suppose that we have a quantum harmonic oscillator being in the first exciting state. It means that system has some definite energy E_1. Than we change force constant of of the oscillator. As a consequence eigen states and there energy are changed. I think that after this change system cannot be in some new eigen state. Because in this case the system would have some new definite value of energy and we would have contradiction with conservation low. So I conclude that after force constant is changed system will be in some superposition of new eigen states. It means that making measurement we can with some probability find the system in some state having some energy. I have two question. Does the energy conservation low implies that sum of eigen-energies multiplied on the probability to find system in the corresponding state should be equal to the initial energy of the system (e_1*v_1 + e_2*v_2 + ... e_n*v_n = E_1)? Let us suppose that we made measurement and the find system in some new eigen-state with energy e_k. How to be with the conservation low? I mean e_k is not equal to E_1 and it should be a problem?

Opi.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think my questions can be formulated in shorter way:

1. If state of a system is a superposition of the eigen state, how is defined total energy of the system?

2. Should energy conservation low work for this quantum mechanical energy?

3. If energy conservation low is satisfied, is it satisfied statistically (by averaging over many measurements)?

What is energy conservation low?

Energy conservation low refers to the practice of reducing energy consumption in order to conserve natural resources and reduce the negative impact on the environment. This can be achieved through various measures such as using energy-efficient appliances and vehicles, implementing renewable energy sources, and changing daily habits to reduce energy consumption.

Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it helps to reduce the depletion of natural resources, such as fossil fuels, and mitigates the negative effects of energy production on the environment, such as air pollution and climate change. It also helps to save money by reducing energy costs and promoting sustainable living practices.

What are some ways to conserve energy?

There are many ways to conserve energy, including turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, unplugging chargers when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and properly insulating homes and buildings to reduce heating and cooling needs.

What are the benefits of energy conservation?

The benefits of energy conservation include reducing carbon emissions and air pollution, conserving natural resources, saving money on energy bills, and promoting sustainable living practices. It also helps to create a more resilient and sustainable future for generations to come.

How can individuals contribute to energy conservation?

Individuals can contribute to energy conservation by being mindful of their energy usage and making small changes in their daily habits, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, using public transportation or biking instead of driving, and supporting renewable energy sources. They can also advocate for energy conservation policies and educate others about the importance of reducing energy consumption.