Energy Conservation of a car collision

In summary: J = J + JJFrom what I can tell, your initial setup is correct, but your algebra is off. When you solve for Vf, you should get Vf = V / 1.583, since V1 = Vf + 0.583*Vf. So your final speed will be 0.632 times the initial speed, which is slightly different from the 0.538 you had before.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

A car moving with an initial speed v collides with a second lighter stationary car that is 58.3% as massive. After the collision, the two cars stick together and move off in the same direction as before. Calculate the final speed of the two cars after the collision. Give your answer in units of the initial speed (i.e. as a fraction of v).

Homework Equations

M1V1+M2V2=M1Vf1+M2Vf2

The Attempt at a Solution

M1V1=M1Vf+53.8%M1Vf

I ended up with V/.538=Vf but it says I am wrong, any1 know what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The final answer you have reported says the final velocity is greater than the initial velocity. Intuitively, you should know this is wrong.

You have M1V1=M1Vf+53.8%M1Vf

This setup is correct, so I think your error lies in your algebra. Try reworking the simple cleanup steps and see what happens.

PS: Your title is misleading, because your question is more concerned with the conservation of momentum, rather than the conservation of energy.

BMWPower06 said:

Homework Statement

A car moving with an initial speed v collides with a second lighter stationary car that is 58.3% as massive. After the collision, the two cars stick together and move off in the same direction as before. Calculate the final speed of the two cars after the collision. Give your answer in units of the initial speed (i.e. as a fraction of v).

Homework Equations

M1V1+M2V2=M1Vf1+M2Vf2

The Attempt at a Solution

M1V1=M1Vf+53.8%M1Vf

I ended up with V/.538=Vf but it says I am wrong, any1 know what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
CaptainZappo said:
The final answer you have reported says the final velocity is greater than the initial velocity. Intuitively, you should know this is wrong.

You have M1V1=M1Vf+58.3%M1Vf

This setup is correct, so I think your error lies in your algebra. Try reworking the simple cleanup steps and see what happens.

PS: Your title is misleading, because your question is more concerned with the conservation of momentum, rather than the conservation of energy.

k, so i got V/1.583=Vf

is that right? i plugged it in online but it says its wrong...

BMWPower06 said:
k, so i got V/1.583=Vf

is that right? i plugged it in online but it says its wrong...

That is the answer I came up with.

Perhaps someone else can chime in?

mv = (m + .583m)v'
v/v' = 1.583
or

v'/v = .631(7)

The question asks for Give your answer in units of the initial speed (i.e. as a fraction of v), so you want v'/v not v/v'. In significant units it is .632.

Oh, and I thought I would mention that your problem doesn't actually concern Energy Conservation, but rather the conservation of momentum. Kinetic Energy is usually not conserved in non-elastic collisions.

JJ +

1. How does energy conservation play a role in a car collision?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In a car collision, the energy of the moving car is transferred to the objects it collides with, such as another car or a stationary object.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy conserved in a car collision?

The amount of energy conserved in a car collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the cars involved. The higher the mass and velocity, the more energy will be transferred during the collision.

3. How does the conservation of energy affect the outcome of a car collision?

The principle of energy conservation dictates that the total amount of energy before and after a collision must be equal. This means that the energy transferred during a collision will determine the outcome, such as the amount of damage to the cars or injuries to the occupants.

4. Is it possible for a car collision to have a perfectly elastic outcome?

No, it is not possible for a car collision to have a perfectly elastic outcome. This is because some amount of energy will always be lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved, making the total energy after the collision less than the total energy before the collision.

5. How can energy be conserved in a car collision?

One way to conserve energy in a car collision is by reducing the speed and mass of the cars involved. This will result in less energy being transferred during the collision, potentially reducing the damage and injuries. Additionally, implementing safety features such as airbags and seat belts can also help to conserve energy and mitigate the effects of a collision.