1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conservation of ball

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    I need help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 44.0 g ball is fired horizontally with initial speed vi toward a 110 g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.10 m-long string. The balls undergo a head-on, perfectly elastic collision, after which the 110 ball swings out to a maximum angle = 52.0.

What was vi ?
    2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum:
    m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2

Conservation of energy:
    1/2m1(vi1^2) = m2gy

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to solve these problem with those 2 equations, but it still doesn't work. I compeletly massed up with these concepts. Can anyone help me with this problem with exact answer?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: I need help!!

You almost have the energy conservation right.

ke of first ball -> ke of second ball -> potential energy of second ball.
    you know m1, m2, and h so just find v1

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3

I do not know how to combine those two equations. Can you through specific steps by using numbers?

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

I do not know how to combine those two equations. Can you through specific steps by using numbers?

6. Nov 29, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ke of first ball = 1/2 m1 v^2
    pe of 2n ball = m2 g h

Just set them equal
    1/2 * m1 * v1^2 = m2 * g * h
    1/2 * 0.044 * v1^2 = 0.110 * 9.8 * h

You need to do a bit of trig to get h, then it's simple

7. Nov 29, 2009 #6

okay, thank your so far. I got the h as 0.110cos53, but is it right? or h is (0.110 - 0.110cos53 )?
    which one is right?

8. Nov 30, 2009 #7

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no wording in the problem that says that the 44 g is at rest after the collision. It seems to me that the energy conservation equation is missing the kinetic energy of the 44 g ball after the collision. One needs to solve the momentum conservation equation for the velocity of the 44 g mass after the collision and substitute in the modified energy conservation equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook