Energy conservation of ball

In summary, the problem involves a 44.0 g ball being fired horizontally with an initial speed towards a 110 g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.10 m-long string. After a perfectly elastic head-on collision, the 110 g ball swings out to a maximum angle of 52.0 degrees. To solve for the initial speed, the conservation of momentum and energy equations are used. However, the calculation requires trigonometry to find the height of the 110 g ball. Additionally, the kinetic energy of the 44 g ball after the collision must also be taken into account.
David Lee
I need help!

Homework Statement

A 44.0 g ball is fired horizontally with initial speed vi toward a 110 g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.10 m-long string. The balls undergo a head-on, perfectly elastic collision, after which the 110 ball swings out to a maximum angle = 52.0.

What was vi ?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum:
m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2

Conservation of energy:
1/2m1(vi1^2) = m2gy

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve these problem with those 2 equations, but it still doesn't work. I compeletly massed up with these concepts. Can anyone help me with this problem with exact answer?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

You almost have the energy conservation right.

ke of first ball -> ke of second ball -> potential energy of second ball.
you know m1, m2, and h so just find v1

I do not know how to combine those two equations. Can you through specific steps by using numbers?

mgb_phys said:
You almost have the energy conservation right.

ke of first ball -> ke of second ball -> potential energy of second ball.
you know m1, m2, and h so just find v1

I do not know how to combine those two equations. Can you through specific steps by using numbers?

ke of first ball = 1/2 m1 v^2
pe of 2n ball = m2 g h

Just set them equal
1/2 * m1 * v1^2 = m2 * g * h
1/2 * 0.044 * v1^2 = 0.110 * 9.8 * h

You need to do a bit of trig to get h, then it's simple

mgb_phys said:
pe of 2n ball = m2 g h

Just set them equal

okay, thank your so far. I got the h as 0.110cos53, but is it right? or h is (0.110 - 0.110cos53 )?
which one is right?

mgb_phys said:
pe of 2n ball = m2 g h

Just set them equal

There is no wording in the problem that says that the 44 g is at rest after the collision. It seems to me that the energy conservation equation is missing the kinetic energy of the 44 g ball after the collision. One needs to solve the momentum conservation equation for the velocity of the 44 g mass after the collision and substitute in the modified energy conservation equation.

1. How does energy conservation apply to a ball?

Energy conservation applies to a ball because, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a ball, including its kinetic energy and potential energy, remains constant as it moves and bounces.

2. What factors affect the energy conservation of a ball?

The energy conservation of a ball is affected by factors such as its mass, velocity, and the surface it bounces on. A heavier ball will have more kinetic energy, while a higher velocity will result in more energy being converted to heat upon impact. The surface the ball bounces on also plays a role, as a softer surface will absorb more energy than a harder one.

3. How does the height of a ball affect its energy conservation?

The height of a ball affects its energy conservation through potential energy. As a ball is lifted to a higher height, its potential energy increases. When it falls and bounces, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. The higher the initial height, the higher the potential energy and therefore, the higher the bounce.

4. Is energy conservation always observed in a bouncing ball?

In an ideal scenario with no external factors, energy conservation will always be observed in a bouncing ball. However, in real-life situations, some energy may be lost due to factors such as air resistance and friction. These factors can cause the ball to bounce lower than its initial height, resulting in a slight decrease in energy conservation.

5. How can we increase the energy conservation of a bouncing ball?

To increase the energy conservation of a bouncing ball, we can minimize external factors that may cause energy loss. For example, using a ball with a smooth surface and bouncing it on a harder surface will result in less energy being lost due to friction. Additionally, increasing the initial height of the ball will also lead to a higher bounce and therefore, a higher energy conservation.