1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Conservation

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    An 1kg object is sliding down a 4m high incline which is inclined at 53 degrees. The initial speed is 2m/s. It then slides on a horizontal section 3m long which is at ground level and then slides up an incline plane that is inclined at 37 degrees. All surfaces have a kinetic coefficient of uc = 0.4. What distance will the object travel up the 37 degree incline before stopping?

Work Done:

Starting off Values:
    Vi = 2m/s
    Vf = ?
    d = 3.19 (using trig)
    m = 1kg
    uc = 0.4

I drew a diagram and then I figured I would use the laws of conservation formula. I know their is kinetic and potential energy when the object is at a certain height. When the object is on the horizontal surface, their will only be kinetic and friction forces acting on it. So I thought i'd find the object's final speed on the 53degree incline (1/2mVf^2 = 1/2mVi^2 + mgh -fx). After I found Vf, I used that as the new initial speed for the horizontal surface. I then thought i'd find the final speed on the horizontal speed using the laws of conservation of energy (1/2mVf^2 = 1/2mVi^2 -fx). Finally, I took this value and used it as the new initial speed as the object is about to move up the 37 degree incline. I substituted it in the formula: mgh = 1/2mVi^2 - fx.

I keep getting an answer like 2.41m but the answer in the book is 1.95m. I'm not quite sure where I went wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2
    Your idea is right, you may want to re-check you calculations. Also, h is not the required answer - it's h/sin(37).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?