1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conservation

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    Hello,
    I have one problem...

In what initial speed must barmen throw beer mug on the table so it can travel 2 meters. Mass of the beer mug is 0,3 kg. Sliding loss factor between table and beer mug is 0,3.

I hope you have understand the question, because I am translating it from my mother language and some of terms are new to me...

I have to solve this problem using energy conservation principle.

So kinetic energy is wasted on (abrasion, attrition, friction, rub, Sliding loss - which is the right term):
    Ek=W
    W is F*s
    F is m*g*u

It now becomes:

1/2*m*v^2=m*g*u

This can't be right... Mass is relevant here but with this equation it is equation abridged...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

I'm not quite sure what exactly you mean by "sliding loss factor". If it is just the co-efficient of kinetic friction, then the result is independent of m. The initial speed would be 3.43 m/s.

If that is the case, then ma = -0.3*mg and v^2 = -2ax, giving the value of v.

If it means something else, please let us know.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3
    I looked up for the right term, yes I thought on Coefficient of friction which is 0,3.

But i need solve this with energy conversation...

5. Dec 8, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Equate work done by frictional force to initial KE.

6. Dec 8, 2007 #5
    When you solve this

Kinetic energy = frictional force * x
    Ek=F*x

You get 1,71 m/s

So which is correct?

1,71 or 3,43 m/s?

7. Dec 8, 2007 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Show your calculation.

8. Dec 8, 2007 #7
    No, I made a mistake, it is 3,43.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?