1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conservation.

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I had a question about reactions. I actually know how the baryon number, the lepton number, and the electric charge conservation works for reactions, but what i do not understand is the energy conservation. I searched the whole web for it, but there was no page where I could understand the stuff.

i know that it has something to do with mass, that the mass of a neutron is higher than that of a proton.

For example: p + p > p + n .... i know that the electric charge is not correct, so I need a positron, but then the lepton number is not correct, so i need a ve.

>> p + p > p + n + e+ + ve ... but what about the energy, how can i find out if the energy conservation is oki, and what I have to add to make it work?

It would be really cool if someone could help me out here! :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Conservation of 4momentum in a Feynman diagram (scattering or decay process) is fundamental.

Read pages 72 pp.76 from D.J.Griffiths' "Introduction to elementary particles",Harper & Row,1987.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?