Energy Conservation: K0 + V0 = K1 + V1

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving potential energy. The correct equation to use is V = mgh, with V representing potential energy, m representing mass, g representing gravity, and h representing height. The equations used in the attempt at solving the problem were incorrect, with velocity being equated to energy. The person asking for help was using the notation from their book, which caused confusion. The correct equation can be used to solve all three questions by plugging in the appropriate values.
nysnacc

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-22_21-33-59.png

Homework Equations

U_initial = U_final

The Attempt at a Solution

K_0 = 10 m/s
K_1 = 0 m/s (at peak)

V_0 = mgh_0
V_1 = mgh_1

1/2 mv02 + mgh0 = 1/2 mv12 + mgh1

Physics news on Phys.org
nysnacc said:
V_0 = mgh_0
V_1 = mgh_1
I'm not sure what you mean here, velocity does not equal energy so those equations are dimensionally inconsistent.
Your final equation is correct and can be used to solve all three questions. Just plug in the appropriate values for each question.

billy_joule said:
I'm not sure what you mean here, velocity does not equal energy so those equations are dimensionally inconsistent.
I believe he is using V to denote potential energy, not velocity.

Likes nysnacc and billy_joule
Orodruin said:
I believe he is using V to denote potential energy, not velocity.
Yes, potential energy, sorry for the misleading. I used the notation in my book.

nysnacc said:
Yes, potential energy, sorry for the misleading. I used the notation in my book.
So what is stopping you from applying the equation? What is it that you do not understand?

1. What is the meaning of the equation K0 + V0 = K1 + V1 in energy conservation?

The equation K0 + V0 = K1 + V1 represents the conservation of energy in a system. It states that the initial kinetic energy (K0) plus the initial potential energy (V0) is equal to the final kinetic energy (K1) plus the final potential energy (V1).

2. How is energy conserved in a closed system using this equation?

In a closed system, there is no external force acting on the system, so the total energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant. This means that the sum of the initial kinetic and potential energy must equal the sum of the final kinetic and potential energy, as shown in the equation K0 + V0 = K1 + V1.

3. What is the significance of this equation in terms of energy conservation laws?

The equation K0 + V0 = K1 + V1 is significant because it demonstrates the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This equation shows that the total energy in a closed system remains constant, and energy is conserved.

4. Can this equation be applied to all types of energy?

Yes, this equation can be applied to all types of energy, as long as the system is closed. This includes mechanical energy, thermal energy, electrical energy, and more. The key is to identify and measure the initial and final forms of energy in the system and use the equation to show that energy is conserved.

5. How is this equation used in practical applications of energy conservation?

This equation can be used in many practical applications of energy conservation, such as calculating the energy efficiency of a machine or understanding the energy transformations in a chemical reaction. It can also be used to identify any discrepancies in energy measurements, indicating that energy may be lost due to external factors like friction or air resistance.