Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy content of natural gas

Tags:
  1. Jan 11, 2016 #1
    My brother is working on an LNG transporter and I would like to know how much energy there is in the LNG the ship is transporting, here is the info I got :
    Methane ISO6974 99.8518 mole%
    ethane 0.0137 mole%
    propane 0.0000 mole%
    i-butane 0.0000 mole%
    n-butane 0.0000 mole%
    i-Pentane 0.0000 mole%
    n-Pentane 0.0000 mole%
    c6+ 0.0000 mole%
    Nitrogen 0.1345 mole%
    Carbon Dioxide 0.0000 mole%
    Oxygen 0.0000 mole%
    The pressure in the tank is 160 mbar and the ambient pressure is 116 mbar.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Liquid water or water vapor?

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How much methane is in the tanks? You can Google for the combustion energy (per pund, kg, et,). If you want, you can add the energy to liquefy it, but that's a small fraction.

5. Jan 11, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jan 11, 2016 #5
    I have written the info about the consistency of the natural gas the % of methane etc but I don't know how to calculate it, I want to know about this exact percentages and these pressures

7. Jan 11, 2016 #6
    what do you mean by that ?

8. Jan 11, 2016 #7

russ_watters

No, I mean total volume or mass - you may as well assume it is 100% methane. It is a simple multiplication exercise if you have the mass and the energy per unit mass.

9. Jan 11, 2016 #8

russ_watters

If you burn something and then condense the water out of the combustion products, you get about 20% more energy. That's referred to as the higher (as opposed to lower) heating value.

10. Jan 29, 2016 #9
    The energy of combustion of gas phase methane is available in a reference book - look it up. But you first have to covert the LN2 in the tanks into gas phase methane. That is energy absorbe, and a loss. There are tables with that info, too. The combustion products are gaseous H2O and CO2. Forget about condensation.

11. Jan 29, 2016 #10

JBA

What are you trying to actually determine, is it the amount of BTU's that will be delivered at the vessel's destination?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook