Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Conversion

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    How can you convert Mechanical energy into Considerable Heat Energy directly? The mecahnical energy has to be minimum. And the heat energy produced must be of great magnitude. Help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

- Friction -
  4. Apr 16, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

Well said Hoot.
  5. Apr 16, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Well, one must realize that "Considerable Heat Energy" < Mechanical Energy. An inelastic collision (impact) would do that, whereby the kinetic energy would be converted to thermal energy.
  6. Apr 16, 2006 #5
    "Friction" is certainly your answer. However, to "optimize" you need to maximize surface area contact with the frictional component.
    This would be assymetric "compression, or extension", which would cause a variable internal displacement which would generate heat.
    I'm reminded of a rubber band that, when quickly pulled and then placed against one's lip, feels quite hot.
  7. Apr 24, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A car's brakes do a pretty good job of creating heat from kinetic energy. That's where I might go.
  8. Jun 6, 2006 #7
    Hi there:

How about some combustion ...

9. Jun 6, 2006 #8

Gold Member

Combustion might well result from the process, but that in itself isn't mechanical; it's chemical. You still need friction, compression, etc. to initiate it and still comply with the question. In that regard, though, I suppose that a basic match is the quickest approach.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?