1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Density vs Total Energy

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Here is a detail that makes me doubt:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given the equation for a standing wave with a dependence in 't' and 'z' only... I am told that the wave is propagating in a confined space (2*2*2) m
    Q1. Calculate the energy density for n=1,2,3. I didn't have any pb with this.
    Q2. Calculate the total energy for n=1,2,3. (!!!)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, I can't find anything in my lecture notes about total energy for waves. So I went back to the definition of energy density (h) which the amount of energy per unit of volume.
    Therefore if I multiply the volume by h I should get the energy (right?)
    The volume here is 8 m^3 BUT since the wave in question is only in 1 direction (z) do I still have to multiply by V or only by L=2m instead (for this particular case)

Thanks for your answer(s)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, since the integrated function has no "x" and "y" dependence, then the integration wrt them should be trivial, right ?

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3
    trivial... maybe not or perhaps I would not be posting...

The wave equation has no dependence in 'x' and 'y' indeed,however I am not integrated that function to get the total energy.
    I got the energy density (Question 1) which is h = rho * (A*Omega/2)^2
    A being the amplitude of the wave. The formula is correct according to my book (which does not mention total energy of sound waves btw)

If I check the units of 'h' I get J/m^3 therefore I should multiply by a volume to get the total energy (in J) trivial right? I guess that why I posted, I was surprised to get an energy density in J/m^3 calculated from a wave that's propagating in 1 direction only...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?