• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Energy Density vs Total Energy

• Thread starter cosine
  • Start date
Here is a detail that makes me doubt:

1. Homework Statement
I am given the equation for a standing wave with a dependence in 't' and 'z' only... I am told that the wave is propagating in a confined space (2*2*2) m
Q1. Calculate the energy density for n=1,2,3. I didn't have any pb with this.
Q2. Calculate the total energy for n=1,2,3. (!!!)

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Ok, I can't find anything in my lecture notes about total energy for waves. So I went back to the definition of energy density (h) which the amount of energy per unit of volume.
Therefore if I multiply the volume by h I should get the energy (right?)
The volume here is 8 m^3 BUT since the wave in question is only in 1 direction (z) do I still have to multiply by V or only by L=2m instead (for this particular case)

Thanks for your answer(s)
1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Well, since the integrated function has no "x" and "y" dependence, then the integration wrt them should be trivial, right ?

Well, since the integrated function has no "x" and "y" dependence, then the integration wrt them should be trivial, right ?
trivial... maybe not or perhaps I would not be posting...

The wave equation has no dependence in 'x' and 'y' indeed,however I am not integrated that function to get the total energy.
I got the energy density (Question 1) which is h = rho * (A*Omega/2)^2
A being the amplitude of the wave. The formula is correct according to my book (which does not mention total energy of sound waves btw)

If I check the units of 'h' I get J/m^3 therefore I should multiply by a volume to get the total energy (in J) trivial right? I guess that why I posted, I was surprised to get an energy density in J/m^3 calculated from a wave that's propagating in 1 direction only...