Energy Density vs Total Energy

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of energy density and total energy for a standing wave with a dependence in 't' and 'z' only, propagating in a confined space of 2*2*2 m. The person asking the question is trying to understand the concept of energy density and its relation to the total energy of the wave. They mention using the definition of energy density and multiplying it by the volume to get the total energy, but are unsure if they should use the full volume or just the length in the z-direction. They also question the units of the energy density and if it is appropriate for a wave propagating in only one direction.
cosine
Here is a detail that makes me doubt:

Homework Statement

I am given the equation for a standing wave with a dependence in 't' and 'z' only... I am told that the wave is propagating in a confined space (2*2*2) m
Q1. Calculate the energy density for n=1,2,3. I didn't have any pb with this.
Q2. Calculate the total energy for n=1,2,3. (!)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I can't find anything in my lecture notes about total energy for waves. So I went back to the definition of energy density (h) which the amount of energy per unit of volume.
Therefore if I multiply the volume by h I should get the energy (right?)
The volume here is 8 m^3 BUT since the wave in question is only in 1 direction (z) do I still have to multiply by V or only by L=2m instead (for this particular case)

Thanks for your answer(s)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since the integrated function has no "x" and "y" dependence, then the integration wrt them should be trivial, right ?

dextercioby said:
Well, since the integrated function has no "x" and "y" dependence, then the integration wrt them should be trivial, right ?

trivial... maybe not or perhaps I would not be posting...

The wave equation has no dependence in 'x' and 'y' indeed,however I am not integrated that function to get the total energy.
I got the energy density (Question 1) which is h = rho * (A*Omega/2)^2
A being the amplitude of the wave. The formula is correct according to my book (which does not mention total energy of sound waves btw)

If I check the units of 'h' I get J/m^3 therefore I should multiply by a volume to get the total energy (in J) trivial right? I guess that why I posted, I was surprised to get an energy density in J/m^3 calculated from a wave that's propagating in 1 direction only...

What is the difference between energy density and total energy?

Energy density is a measure of the amount of energy stored in a given volume or mass of a substance, while total energy is the sum of all forms of energy present in a system.

How are energy density and total energy related?

Energy density and total energy are related in that the total energy of a system is equal to the product of its energy density and its volume or mass.

What factors affect energy density?

The factors that affect energy density include the type of substance, its physical state, and its chemical composition.

Why is energy density important?

Energy density is important because it determines the amount of energy that can be stored in a given space or mass. This can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of energy storage and transportation systems.

How is energy density measured?

Energy density is typically measured in units of energy per unit volume (such as J/m3 or Wh/L) or energy per unit mass (such as J/kg or Wh/kg).