Energy difference between energy levels with same n

In summary, to calculate the energy difference between energy levels with the same principal quantum number (n), you can use the Rydberg formula: E = -Rhc/n^2. In this case, the energy difference between the 23P2 state and the 23S1 state is zero because they have the same principal quantum number. This can be confirmed by plugging in the values for n and subtracting the two energies.
Kris2456

Homework Statement

I am somewhat confused about calculating the energy difference between different energy levels with the same principal quantum number (n). Eg. one of the questions that I have requires me to work out the energy difference between 23P2 state and the 23S1 state.

Homework Equations

I think this equation from Wikipedia may be relevant:

74d2e089064fa91288a45b945ac23dbb.png

The Attempt at a Solution

If i interpret Hund's rules correctly, the 23P2 state is lower in energy since it has a higher value of L.
My attempt at getting the value of the energy difference between the levels involved using the "fine structure" part of the above equation to work out the difference using 1 & 2 for the values of J.

The value I get is 2.42e-15 eV which corresponds to a frequency of 5.84 Ghz (the question is about metastable helium being cooled by a laser). I have tried to find correct values for this on the internet but have had little luck :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Calculating the energy difference between energy levels with the same principal quantum number (n) can be a bit confusing, but it's important to understand in order to fully understand the energy levels of an atom.

To calculate the energy difference between the 23P2 state and the 23S1 state, you can use the Rydberg formula:

E = -Rhc/n^2

where R is the Rydberg constant (which can be found in a reference table), h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and n is the principal quantum number.

In this case, n = 23 for both states. So, plugging in the values, we get:

E(23P2) = -Rhc/23^2 = -Rhc/529
E(23S1) = -Rhc/23^2 = -Rhc/529

To find the energy difference, we can subtract these two values:

E(23P2) - E(23S1) = -Rhc/529 - (-Rhc/529) = 0

This means that the energy difference between the 23P2 state and the 23S1 state is zero. This makes sense because these two states have the same principal quantum number, so they are part of the same energy level.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion and gives you a better understanding of how to calculate energy differences between energy levels. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the concept of energy difference between energy levels with same n?

The concept of energy difference between energy levels with same n refers to the difference in energy levels of an atom or molecule that have the same principal quantum number (n). This difference in energy levels is due to the variation in the angular momentum and magnetic quantum numbers, which affects the electron's energy state.

2. How is the energy difference between energy levels with same n calculated?

The energy difference between energy levels with same n is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which is given by ΔE = -Rhc/n^2, where ΔE is the energy difference, R is the Rydberg constant, h is the Planck's constant, and c is the speed of light. This formula relates the energy difference to the principal quantum number (n) of the atom or molecule.

3. What factors influence the energy difference between energy levels with same n?

The energy difference between energy levels with same n is influenced by several factors, including the atomic or molecular structure, the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, and the presence of other atoms or molecules in the surroundings. Additionally, the energy difference can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How does the energy difference between energy levels with same n affect the behavior of atoms and molecules?

The energy difference between energy levels with same n plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of atoms and molecules. It determines the absorption and emission of light, which is essential for various processes such as photosynthesis, vision, and chemical reactions. Additionally, the energy difference also affects the stability and reactivity of atoms and molecules.

5. Can the energy difference between energy levels with same n be changed?

Yes, the energy difference between energy levels with same n can be changed by altering the external factors that influence it, such as the electric and magnetic fields or temperature and pressure. This change in energy difference can lead to the excitation or de-excitation of electrons, resulting in different energy states of the atom or molecule.