• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Energy dissipated by friction

• Thread starter cmed07
  • Start date
I need help figuring out the equation for E :

Find the amount of energy E dissipated by friction by the time the block stops. Express your answer in terms of some or all the variables m, v, and h and any appropriate constants.

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I need help figuring out the equation for E :

Find the amount of energy E dissipated by friction by the time the block stops. Express your answer in terms of some or all the variables m, v, and h and any appropriate constants.
You'll ned to furnish a sketch or more info, and an attempt at a solution, before we can help....

Since the problem states "by the time the block stops." we can assume the final energy is purely potential energy.

So one possibility could be finding the initial potential and kinetic energy and subtracting the final potential energy from those.

KEi+PEi-PEf=Energy lost

Then plug in your variables for KE and PE

This is assuming energy is not being lost due to any force other than friction.

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Since the problem states "by the time the block stops." we can assume the final energy is purely potential energy.

So one possibility could be finding the initial potential and kinetic energy and subtracting the final potential energy from those.

KEi+PEi-PEf=Energy lost

Yes, looks very good! You even got the plus and minus signs correct :cool: Now just adapt that to your given problem.

KEi+PEi-PEf=Energy lost

Thanks! This helped me alot :)

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Thanks! This helped me alot :)
OK, but just remember (because I forgot!) that total energy can neither be gained nor lost...it is always conserved. What energy is lost due to friction is compensated for by an increase in heat, sound, and other forms of energy.