Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Dissipator

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1

env

Assuming water is flowing from tank A (Elevation 1000m) to tank B(Elevation 800m) through a water pipeline. How can I calculate the water pressure going out from the pipe to tank B and how can I design energy dissipator?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can only tell the static water pressure difference, from the info you have given. Everything else would depend upon the pipe dimensions and the actual rate of flow. It looks as though you want to dissipate the Kinetic Energy of the water as it enters the lower tank. How slow do you need the water to end up? Wouldn't a simple set of baffles at the inlet to the lower tank be good enough? Or is there more to this question?

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

env

Hi sophiecentaur,
    Thank you for your reply. As you mentioned I need to dissipate the kinetic energy. My tank consists of some vertical baffle walls. I guess that we need to execute energy dissipator at the outlet of the pipe (tank inlet) to dissipate this energy. Do you have an idea how to do it?

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How about an ordinary regulator? What is the flow rate and pressure (inlet and outlet) we're dealing with here?

6. Dec 11, 2011 #5

env

flow=3000cum/hr
    static pressure=20 bar

7. Dec 11, 2011 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You haven't said what is the permissible velocity - it cannot be zero, either in a steady state or during a one-off filling of the bottom tank. You could reduce the velocity significantly at the tank input by flaring the pipe before the entry. The velocity would be proportional to 1/cross sectional area so a 1:10 cone would reduce velocity to 1/100 of original. Could this be fabricated?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook