How do you apply the Chain Rule to the energy distribution function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the energy distribution function, which is the number of particles with a specific energy. The formula for this function involves several derivatives, which can be defined in terms of acceleration, the number of particles counted per unit time, and how velocity varies with energy. The problem lies in understanding how to separate the derivatives in order to solve for known quantities. This process is known as the Chain Rule in calculus, and there are various resources available to explain it.
gareth
Hi guys,

I have a problem understanding the derivation of the energy distribution function; i.e. the number of particles dN with energy dE,

here is what I have (from literature);

dN/dE = dN/dt * dt/dV * dV/dE

so you can define some of these whole derivitives in terms of acceleration (dV/dT), the number of particles you count per unit time (dN/dT) and how velocity varies with energy dV/dE,

So after plugging in the known quantitites, you end up with something like

dN/dE = dN/dt * -t^3 / md^2

where,

t = time
N = number of particles
m = mass
d = distance

Now here's my problem, I know that breaking up the dN/dE term into separate differentiable components make it easier to solve in terms of know quantities ( m,t,d etc.) but what I don't understand is how you get from dN/dE to dN/dt * dt/dV * dV/dE, so in other words, what's the formal procedure for seperating out the derivitaves.

Hopefuly this is straightforward enough (for you),

Thanks
G

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called the Chain Rule of calculus. Just google chain rule and you'll see a hundred explanations and tutorials.

Here are two:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ChainRule.html"

http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/chainrule/"

Better is to look in any college calculus text (like those by Thomas).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an energy distribution function?

An energy distribution function describes the probability of finding a particle with a certain energy in a given system. It is often used in statistical mechanics to study the behavior of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium.

2. How is an energy distribution function calculated?

The energy distribution function is calculated by taking into account the energy levels available to particles in a system and the probability of occupation of those levels. This can be done using statistical mechanics principles, such as the Boltzmann distribution.

3. What is the significance of energy distribution function in physics?

The energy distribution function provides important information about the behavior of particles in a system, such as their average energy and the spread of energy values. It is also used to calculate thermodynamic properties, such as entropy and free energy.

4. How does temperature affect the energy distribution function?

The temperature of a system affects the energy distribution function by changing the average energy of particles and the spread of energy values. At higher temperatures, particles have a wider range of energies, while at lower temperatures, they are more likely to have similar energies.

5. Can the energy distribution function be experimentally measured?

Yes, the energy distribution function can be experimentally measured using techniques such as spectroscopy or particle accelerators. These experiments can provide data on the energies of particles in a system, which can then be used to calculate the energy distribution function.