Energy Distribution in Wheel - Can Multiple Dynamos Increase Output Power?

In summary: America would have a stationary bike powering it!I suppose if you believe that then...every house in America would have a stationary bike powering it!
Young Learner
Recently I heard about using exercise bikes to generate electricity. It is more or less like a bi-cycle fixed in a training stand. They convert the rotation of the wheel into electrical energy.

The scenario is that they take some W watt of power from that model. In their case a disc like arrangement is used to transfer the rotation to a dynamo or a generator (I am not sure about, what is the difference between using a dynamo and DC generator).

My question is if I use a shaft kind on arrangement on either side of the same wheel and connect it to two different dynamos, will I get 2W watt of power or will the two dynamos separately contribute (W/2) watt of power and thus contributing the same W watt of power.

If I make an arrangement such that both the wheels get rotated when you peddle the bi-cycle (Assuming both the wheels are not in contact with the ground i.e both the wheels lie above the ground as a training stand is used). Having one shaft on either side of the two wheels, Therefore, getting output from 4 shafts and using four different generators, will I get 4W watt of power or will the power from each dynamo be (W/4) watt of power, thus contributing the same W watt of power.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Young Learner said:
Recently I heard about using exercise bikes to generate electricity. It is more or less like a bi-cycle fixed in a training stand. They convert the rotation of the wheel into electrical energy.

The scenario is that they take some W watt of power from that model. In their case a disc like arrangement is used to transfer the rotation to a dynamo or a generator (I am not sure about, what is the difference between using a dynamo and DC generator).

My question is if I use a shaft kind on arrangement on either side of the same wheel and connect it to two different dynamos, will I get 2W watt of power or will the two dynamos separately contribute (W/2) watt of power and thus contributing the same W watt of power.

If I make an arrangement such that both the wheels get rotated when you peddle the bi-cycle (Assuming both the wheels are not in contact with the ground i.e both the wheels lie above the ground as a training stand is used). Having one shaft on either side of the two wheels, Therefore, getting output from 4 shafts and using four different generators, will I get 4W watt of power or will the power from each dynamo be (W/4) watt of power, thus contributing the same W watt of power.

You only get out what the human puts in. At best (with 100% efficient generator), if the human puts in 100W of power by pedaling, then the generator can put out 100W of electrical energy. You cannot get out more power than is put in by the human.

Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
You only get out what the human puts in. At best (with 100% efficient generator), if the human puts in 100W of power by pedaling, then the generator can put out 100W of electrical energy. You cannot get out more power than is put in by the human.

I still have a doubt. Assume a bus is moving at some speed. A small generator is connected on one side of a wheel. W watt of power is obtained. If another generator is connected on the other side of the same wheel would the output be the same W watt.

Assume that the mechanical input is x when only one generator is connected, the power produced is W watt. I doubt whether two 2x input of mechanical energy would be needed to produce 2W watt of electrical power. I believe when two generator is connected, the mechanical input required to produce 2W of power would require a mechanical input less than 2x.

If that were true, it would violate conservation of energy, which is a fundamental law of the universe.

Moreover, every engineer would already be powering their house from a stationary bike.

Young Learner said:
I still have a doubt. Assume a bus is moving at some speed. A small generator is connected on one side of a wheel. W watt of power is obtained. If another generator is connected on the other side of the same wheel would the output be the same W watt.

Assume that the mechanical input is x when only one generator is connected, the power produced is W watt. I doubt whether two 2x input of mechanical energy would be needed to produce 2W watt of electrical power. I believe when two generator is connected, the mechanical input required to produce 2W of power would require a mechanical input less than 2x.

I suppose if you believe that then you will also have trouble answering this question "If one man can dig a hole in 10 minutes, how long does it take 7 men to dig 7 holes?"

Basically, it is Power in = Power out, and energy in = Energy out.
If the second generator is more efficient in converting mechanical energy to electrical energy, then disconnect the first generator and use the second.

Young Learner said:

Over-unity energy generation is a forbidden topic here on the PF. Your thread is closed. Please do not post like this again here.

PF Rules said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

1. How does energy distribution in a wheel work?

Energy distribution in a wheel refers to the way that energy is transferred and used within a wheel. When a wheel is in motion, energy is transferred from the initial source, such as the rotation of an axle, to the rest of the wheel. This energy is then distributed to different parts of the wheel, such as the spokes, rim, and tire, depending on the type of wheel and its intended purpose.

2. What factors affect energy distribution in a wheel?

Several factors can affect energy distribution in a wheel, including the weight and size of the wheel, the type of material used, the surface it is rolling on, and the speed and direction of the wheel's rotation. These factors can impact the amount of energy required to move the wheel and how efficiently the energy is transferred and distributed.

3. How does energy distribution impact the performance of a wheel?

The way that energy is distributed within a wheel can greatly impact its performance. An evenly distributed wheel will have smoother and more efficient movement, while an unevenly distributed wheel can cause vibrations and decrease performance. The distribution of energy can also affect the durability and lifespan of a wheel.

4. How is energy distribution in a wheel measured?

Energy distribution in a wheel can be measured through various methods, such as using strain gauges or accelerometers to measure forces and vibrations within the wheel. These measurements can provide valuable data on the distribution of energy and help identify any imbalances or areas for improvement.

5. Can energy distribution in a wheel be optimized?

Yes, energy distribution in a wheel can be optimized through careful design and engineering. By considering factors such as weight distribution, material selection, and rotational speed, engineers can create a wheel that maximizes energy distribution for optimal performance and efficiency.