Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Efficiency and Transfer

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    First of all this is a fun sidetrack thing. I'm looking for the safest and most efficient molecule that could be split or combined or some way to produce force.Could it be put in a motor-type device and therefore be used as a motor?BTW, this is for like a car.Could Salt Water produce electricity that could be stored in a battery and therefore be in a car?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think you have some mechanism in mind which does not work, but your question is a bit vague.

You can produce hydrogen via electrolysis and store it to power a fuel cell afterwards - I think the efficiency electric->electric is something like ~50%. Electric->mechanical is close to 100%, that does not matter much.
    Batteries use other chemical components, but not salt water (why salt water?).
    Petrol and oxygen can be used in a motor, too - it is impractical to produce petrol from scratch, but it can be made out of (parts of) oil of course.

4. Nov 27, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you thinking in terms of the mechanism that operates in our muscles?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook