Find 'A' & 'a' of 1D Harmonic Oscillator for Energy Eigenvalue

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ground state of a one-dimensional Harmonic oscillator, described by the Hamiltonian H = (p^2/2m) + (kx^2/2). The wavefunction is determined to be \psi = Ae^{-ax^2}, and the values of 'A' and 'a' are found to be (\frac{2a}{\pi})^{1/4} and \lambda = \hbar \omega (n+1/2), respectively. The conversation also mentions the definitions of eigenstate and eigenvalue, and suggests using the Hamiltonian to obtain the energy eigenvalues.
Reshma
The ground state of a one-dimensional Harmonic oscillator described by the Hamiltonian [itex]H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{kx^2}{2}[/itex] is of the form, [itex]\psi = Ae^{-ax^2}[/itex]. Determine 'A' and 'a' so that the wavefunction [itex]\psi[/itex] is a normalized eigenstate of the Hamiltonian. What is the energy eigenvalue of the wavefunction?

Well, I was able to normalize the wavefunction and obtained the value of 'A'.
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi \psi^* dx =1[/tex]

[tex]A^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-2ax^2}dx =1[/tex]

[tex]A^2\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2a}} =1[/tex]

[tex]A = (\frac{2a}{\pi})^{1/4}[/tex]

How do I determine 'a'? Any clues to obtain energy eigen value?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I could not correct my errors yesterday. I have rectified the LaTeX typos. Now can someone help me...?

How do I determine 'a'? Any clues to obtain energy eigen value?
I would say use the definitions of "eigenstate" and "eigenvalue".

Hurkyl said:
I would say use the definitions of "eigenstate" and "eigenvalue".
You mean use the eigenfunction and obtain the eigenvalue?
[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi = \mathcall H \psi[/tex]

Just apply the harmonic oscillators hamiltonian to the eigenfunction. And I don't think you can determine a but you can set some constraints on it. a just tells you how wide the gaussian is.

You mean use the eigenfunction and obtain the eigenvalue?
The definitions are that [itex]\psi[/itex] is an eigenfunction of H with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex] if and only if [itex]H \psi = \lambda \psi[/itex].

yep you should just be able to operate on the wavefunction with the hamiltonian to obtain the eigenvalues which are the energy values

inha said:
Just apply the harmonic oscillators hamiltonian to the eigenfunction. And I don't think you can determine a but you can set some constraints on it. a just tells you how wide the gaussian is.

qtp said:
yep you should just be able to operate on the wavefunction with the hamiltonian to obtain the eigenvalues which are the energy values

Thank you for your time.

[tex]H = {p^2 \over 2m} + {1\over 2} m \omega^2 x^2[/tex]

[tex]p = -i \hbar \partial / \partial x[/tex]

[tex]{-\hbar^2\over 2m}{\partial^2 \psi \over \partial x^2} + {1\over 2} m \omega^2 x^2 \psi = E_n \psi[/tex]

Looks familiar to me, energy eigen values given by:
[tex]E_n = \hbar \omega \left(n + {1\over 2}\right)[/tex]

1. What is a 1D harmonic oscillator?

A 1D harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This system can be described by a second-order differential equation, known as the harmonic oscillator equation.

2. What do 'A' and 'a' represent in the context of a 1D harmonic oscillator?

In the context of a 1D harmonic oscillator, 'A' represents the amplitude of the oscillation, which is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. 'a' represents the acceleration of the system, which is directly proportional to the displacement and is responsible for restoring the system to equilibrium.

3. How do you find the energy eigenvalue for a 1D harmonic oscillator?

The energy eigenvalue for a 1D harmonic oscillator can be found using the equation E(n) = (n + 1/2) * h * w, where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, and w is the angular frequency of the oscillator. This equation is a consequence of the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of finding the energy eigenvalue for a 1D harmonic oscillator?

The energy eigenvalue for a 1D harmonic oscillator is significant because it represents the energy of the system in a particular quantum state. This value can be used to calculate the probability of finding the system in that state and to predict the behavior of the system over time.

5. How does the energy eigenvalue change with different values of 'A' and 'a'?

The energy eigenvalue for a 1D harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude and the square of the acceleration. This means that as 'A' or 'a' increases, the energy eigenvalue also increases. Additionally, the energy eigenvalue is also affected by the quantum number 'n' and the angular frequency 'w'.