1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy eigen value

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    The ground state of a one-dimensional Harmonic oscillator described by the Hamiltonian [itex]H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{kx^2}{2}[/itex] is of the form, [itex]\psi = Ae^{-ax^2}[/itex]. Determine 'A' and 'a' so that the wavefunction [itex]\psi[/itex] is a normalized eigenstate of the Hamiltonian. What is the energy eigenvalue of the wavefunction?

Well, I was able to normalize the wavefunction and obtained the value of 'A'.
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi \psi^* dx =1[/tex]

[tex]A^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-2ax^2}dx =1[/tex]

[tex]A^2\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2a}} =1[/tex]

[tex]A = (\frac{2a}{\pi})^{1/4}[/tex]

How do I determine 'a'? Any clues to obtain energy eigen value?
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2
    Sorry, I could not correct my errors yesterday. I have rectified the LaTeX typos. Now can someone help me....?
  4. Feb 24, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would say use the definitions of "eigenstate" and "eigenvalue".
  5. Feb 24, 2006 #4
    You mean use the eigenfunction and obtain the eigenvalue?
    [tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi = \mathcall H \psi[/tex]
  6. Feb 24, 2006 #5
    Just apply the harmonic oscillators hamiltonian to the eigenfunction. And I don't think you can determine a but you can set some constraints on it. a just tells you how wide the gaussian is.
  7. Feb 24, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The definitions are that [itex]\psi[/itex] is an eigenfunction of H with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex] if and only if [itex]H \psi = \lambda \psi[/itex].
  8. Feb 24, 2006 #7

yep you should just be able to operate on the wavefunction with the hamiltonian to obtain the eigenvalues which are the energy values
  9. Feb 25, 2006 #8
    Thank you for your time.

[tex]H = {p^2 \over 2m} + {1\over 2} m \omega^2 x^2[/tex]

[tex]p = -i \hbar \partial / \partial x[/tex]

[tex]{-\hbar^2\over 2m}{\partial^2 \psi \over \partial x^2} + {1\over 2} m \omega^2 x^2 \psi = E_n \psi[/tex]

Looks familiar to me, energy eigen values given by:
    [tex]E_n = \hbar \omega \left(n + {1\over 2}\right)[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?