1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Eigenstate

1. Jan 28, 2006 #1
    Trying to get my head around this problem and would very much appriciate any suggestions.

Given a wavefunction \psi(X) i am asked if it is an energy eigenstate for a free particle moving in one dimension? Any suggestion on how I start a problem like this?

thanks,

Epud

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2
    Well, this is rather easy if you just know how to solve the Schrödinger equation in the case of a free particle (ie potential V(x) = 0)

regards
    marlon

4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    As was pointed out, a free particle means V(x) = 0.
    Furthermore, you'll be solving the one dimensional, time-independent S.E, since you're given psi(x).

Most undergrad texts work this out at one point or another. I especially like Griffith's explanations - and it should help you a lot (it's done in position space, in 1D).

In case you don't have it, to get you started:
    Write the SE:
    [tex]-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m}\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} = E\psi[/tex]
    Rearrange, then define
    [tex]k \equiv \frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/tex]

Being able to just "see" that you should define k as such, to make it easier (or possible?) to solve isn't something I was able to do. It would have taken me ages to find that on my own.

hth.

5. Jan 30, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The spectral problem

[tex] \hat{H}|\psi\rangle =E|\psi\rangle [/tex]

in case of a free particle has a solution of the form

[tex] \psi (x)=\langle x|\psi\rangle [/tex]

, where [itex] \langle x| [/itex] is a tempered distribution and [itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex] is a test function.

So you'll have to see whether your wavefunction can be obtained in this method: applying a linear functional on a vector from [itex] L^{2}\left(\mathbb{R}\right) [/itex].

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?