1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Equation problem.

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    The question I have is trying to solve the final velocity in an energy equation that goes like this: 0.5mv^2=0.5mv^2+mgy (The final velocity being on the LS).

I'm not given the mass of the skier going down the hill so I divide to cancel the mass out. I then rearrange to get Vf^2 = V^2+gy. I've pretty much nailed it down to a simple algebra problem but I can't see what's wrong!

Oh, I might add that I always plug numbers in before rearranging equations but my teacher doesn't like me doing that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cancelled out the 'm's' just fine, but what you're left with is
    [tex]0.5V_f^2 = 0.5V_o^2 + gy [/tex] you left out that 0.5 factor.
    BTW, I always plug in numbers before rearranging equations. It sometimes leads to round off errors, but it sure makes the algebra a lot simpler and less confusing, because it's generally much easier to deal with numbers rather than letters, but don't tell teacher I said that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?