Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy everywhere.?.

1. Aug 21, 2006 #1
    I was wondering...what's a form of energy that we know of that is boundless both on earth and in space?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Could you please express your question in more detail? I don't know what you're asking.

4. Aug 21, 2006 #3
    After doing a little reasearch, it appears that magnetic fields are present in all of space. And based on this, I would like to know is there another form of enery (other than magnetic fields) that are present in all of space?

5. Aug 21, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Magnetic fields cover a lot of different aspects, including the background microwave signature and starlight. There are virtual particles everywhere, and gravity extends forever even though it becomes pretty much unnoticeable at any significant distance from the source.
    That's about all that I have to offer. One of the cosmology dudes will be a better source.

6. Aug 21, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Magnetic fields are not a form of energy.

- Warren

7. Aug 21, 2006 #6
    OK. My other question about magnetic fields is: are magnetic fields susceptible to friction?

8. Aug 21, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No.

- Warren

9. Aug 21, 2006 #8
    ...which got me wondering about particle accelerators. Those tubes in which they accelerate particles must be damn near a true vacuum, are they not?

10. Aug 21, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are. Particle physics machines employ some of "highest" vacuums (i.e. lowest particle densities) on the planet.

- Warren

11. Sep 17, 2006 #10
    wait, why isn't radiation energy? One more thing, do energy have any shape of size? If it doesn't, does it atleast some kind of region it covers?

12. Sep 17, 2006 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, radiation is a form of energy.

I have no idea what you're asking.

- Warre

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?