How Is Energy Flux Calculated in an Electromagnetic Wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy flux in an electromagnetic wave and raises a question about the assumption of constant energy density. The link provided clarifies that the time-averaged power density, which is what can be measured, is half of the maximum power density due to the rapid oscillation of the electric field. The terminology used by Walter Lewin in his lecture may have been misleading.
guillefix
Hello,

The energy density of an electromagnetic wave is [itex]ε_{0}E^{2}[/itex]. To calculate the energy flux, at least in the derivation's I've seen, people just multiply by the speed of the wave, i.e., c. But doesn't this assume that the energy density is constant at all points?; but E changes periodically! Why isn't it then the integral of the energy density in the corresponding volume, so it would give something close to a half of the usual answer i see!?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Just read in here: http://hep.ph.liv.ac.uk/~hutchcroft/Phys258/CN6EMWaves.pdf that I was right yeah. Walter Lewin's lecture was a bit missleading.

Last edited by a moderator:
One has to be very careful with terminology and keep in mind exactly which quantity is being discussed. The instantaneous power density (W/m2) passing through a surface oriented perpendicular to the wave propagation direction is indeed ε0cE2.

However, the magnitude of E oscillates rapidly between 0 and the amplitude Emax (often called E0). Finding the time-average over a whole number of cycles gives half of the maximum power density, so the time-averaged power density (which is what we can actually measure in practice) is (1/2)ε0cEmax2 which is often written as (1/2)ε0cE02.

I haven't watched Levin's lecture so I don't know which terminology he's using.

1. What is energy flux of an EM wave?

The energy flux of an EM wave is the rate of energy transfer per unit area, perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. It is also known as the intensity of the wave.

2. How is energy flux related to the amplitude of an EM wave?

The energy flux of an EM wave is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy flux also increases.

3. What factors affect the energy flux of an EM wave?

The energy flux of an EM wave is affected by the amplitude of the wave, the frequency of the wave, and the medium through which the wave is propagating. It is also affected by the angle of incidence and the distance from the source of the wave.

4. How is energy flux measured?

Energy flux is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²). This can be measured using specialized instruments such as a radiometer or a calorimeter.

5. Why is understanding energy flux important in studying EM waves?

Understanding energy flux is important because it helps us understand the amount of energy being transferred by an EM wave. This is crucial in many practical applications, such as in telecommunications, where the energy flux determines the strength and quality of the signal being transmitted.