Calculating Energy for Circular Orbit: A Guide to Launching Satellites

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy needed to launch a satellite into a circular orbit at a certain altitude. The problem involves conservation of energy and the equations for potential and kinetic energy are used to find the total energy required. After some discussion and corrections, the correct answer is found.
bray d
[SOLVED] energy for circular orbit

This one should be easy for you guys, I've been workin on it for a while and need pointed in the right direction. For starters, here's the question:

Neglecting Earth's rotation, show that the energy needed to launch a satellite of mass m into circular orbit at altitude h is [(GMm)/R]*[(R+2h)/(2*(R+h))]
where G is 6.67x10^-11, M=mass of the earth, R=radius of the earth

I believe the problem has to do with conservation of energy, so I found the change in potential energy between the surface of the Earth and height h. I think I need to find the change in kinetic energy from the surface and height h then add U and K to find the total energy. I did this and came up with an incorrect answer. Where am I going wrong?

P.S. nice site!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm, welp that link confirms my thought process...right? anyways here's what I've been getting:

first I found the change in potential energy:

U= -GMm(1/r1-1/r2)
= -GMm(1/R-1/(R+h))
= -GMm/R+GMm/(R+h)

Then I tried to find the change in kinetic energy:

to find v^2 in K=(1/2)mv^2 I equated the gravitational force to rotational acceleration since the gravity is the force that causes the acceleration:

GMm/r^2=mv^2/r

solving for v^2 I got:

v^2 = GM/r

Plugging that into the kinetic energy equation I got:

K = (1/2)GMm/r

therefor the change in kinetic energy would be the kinetic energy at the surface minus the kinetic energy at height h:

K = GMm/2R - GMm/2(R+h)

then to find total energy I added U and K:

E = U + K
= GMm/(R+h) - GMm/R + GMm/2R - GMm/2(R+h)

I then simplified by creating common denominators and adding like terms:

E = (2GMm-GMm)/2(R+h)+(-2GMm+GMm)/2R
= GMm/2(R+h) - GMm/2R

wow, that was not fun to type lol

1) There is NO initial kinetic energy at the surface. It's not in orbit at the surface, it's just sitting there. 2) Check the signs on your changes in kinetic and potential energy. Both should be positive. Other than that, well done really.

Last edited:
that's what's confusing me. I initially thought there would be no initial kinetic energy, but then though about how it got to orbit. in order to get into orbit there must be some kind of kinetic energy right? so I figured there would have to be more initial kinetic energy then there was at orbit.

yep, don't know where that negative came from in the delta U equation. I'll rework it and give an update. thanks for the reply!

You aren't told how it would get to orbit. Presumably a rocket or something. The energy provided by that unknown thing is what you want to compute. Update fast, I'm fading. It worked ok for me though. I got the answer you were looking for.

ok, I understand. Yep, I corrected the sign in the delta U equation and took K = 0 at the surface. this gave me the correct answer after some algebraic manipulation. thanks again for the reply, it's greatly appreciated. have a nice night

You too. Nice work.

What is circular orbit?

Circular orbit is the path an object takes around another object, where the distance between the two objects remains constant and the object follows a circular shape.

What is the role of energy in circular orbit?

Energy is essential for maintaining a circular orbit. The kinetic energy of the object provides the necessary velocity to stay in orbit, while the gravitational potential energy between the two objects balances out the centripetal force, keeping the object in a circular path.

How does energy change in a circular orbit?

In a circular orbit, the total energy of the object remains constant. However, the kinetic energy and potential energy may change in relation to each other as the object moves closer or further away from the central object.

What happens if there is not enough energy for a circular orbit?

If there is not enough energy for a circular orbit, the object will not be able to maintain a constant distance from the central object and will either crash into it or escape its gravitational pull.

Can energy be added or removed from a circular orbit?

Yes, energy can be added or removed from a circular orbit through external forces, such as thrust from a spacecraft or atmospheric drag. However, this may alter the orbit and change its shape from circular to elliptical.