Scavenging Energy from Radio Waves: A Study at A Level | Sources & Results

In summary: That might work better for you.In summary, the author has built a rectifier circuit and tested various types of dipole to induce a dc current. He has found that lead produces less energy than other materials tested, and he is unsure why this is the case. He has also found that one of the dipoles he tested was a lead sheet, and he does not know why this would produce less energy.
technophile
I am working on an independent project at A level and have chosen to look at scavanging energy from radio waves.

i have built a rectifier circuit and tested various types of dipole to induce a dc current.

so far so good, got some very good results. however, there is very little theory/texts that pertain to this particular method or even the general idea of capturing energy from radio frequencys.

can anyone suggest some sources?

Science news on Phys.org
Would the standard theories and explanations of typical radio antennas work? I know they absorb RF energy and convert it into an electrical signal. Sounds like you would use that.

that's not a bad start but i also need something to explain how the current is made when the signal comes in from all 360 degrees; my lecturers were expecting the signals to interfere with each other and cancel out the current but it doesnt.

also, interestingly, one of the dipoles i tested was a lead sheet; my theory was that a denser material may capture higher frequency waves and thus higher energy could be produced. however, lead actually produced consistetly LESS energy. my best guess is either a) eddy currents were more prevalent in a denser material and/or b) it was so dense that movement of free electrpons was hindered.

anyone care to chip in any other ideas?

thats the same thing, yes - though i haven't a clue as to how he has managed to get a full volt! my experiments show the results to be on the scale of mili volts!

and that was with 100m of wire as a dipole!

Radio waves don't carry much energy anyways. If you have a goal of producing power, I suggest that you find another goal. Not just for that reason, but also because interferring with radio stations and communications is going to get you in trouble real quick. :biggrin:

However, if you are simply trying to find a way to transmit power wirelessly, then by all means go ahead. Have you though about using something like microwaves instead?

1. What is scavenging energy from radio waves?

Scavenging energy from radio waves is the process of harnessing power from radio waves in the environment to be used as a source of energy. This energy can then be converted and used to power devices.

2. How does scavenging energy from radio waves work?

Scavenging energy from radio waves works by using an antenna to collect radio wave signals from the environment. These signals are then converted into usable electricity through a process called rectification.

3. What are the sources of radio waves for scavenging energy?

The main sources of radio waves for scavenging energy are radio and television broadcast stations, Wi-Fi signals, and cell phone towers. Other sources include satellite communications and radar systems.

4. What are the results of studies on scavenging energy from radio waves at A level?

Studies at A level have shown that scavenging energy from radio waves has the potential to provide a renewable and sustainable source of energy. However, there are still limitations and challenges that need to be addressed for practical applications.

5. What are the advantages of scavenging energy from radio waves?

Some of the advantages of scavenging energy from radio waves include its renewable and sustainable nature, its availability in both urban and remote areas, and its ability to power small electronic devices without the need for batteries or wires.