1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy from the sun

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Energy from the sun (distance 1.496 x 10^11m from earth) arrives at the earth at a rate of 1400W/m^2. How fast is the sun losing mass due to energy radiation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so i thought that Ei = E/r^2 where Ei is incident radiation and E is radiation at source..

Therefore E sun = r^2 (1400)

Then using E=mc^2..I divide the result by c^2 to give mass loss per second..

but i don't get the right answer..where am i going wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

The solar constant specifies how much power sun light contains per square meter at our distance from the sun. To get the total power output of the sun light you would then need to know "how many" square meters there are all around the sun at our distance from it.
  4. Mar 28, 2010 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are given the power per unit area at a certain distance from the sun. What's the total area over which the sun's energy is spread at that distance? (You're almost there.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook